Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I had seen many since my first Colt SP1 rifle in 1971 up to now but had not seen any list of upper receiver proof markings.

Currently out of my 4 and past 2 newer model Colt AR, the newer models don't have them anymore.

My AR6830 Sporter Lightweight carbine 7.62X39 with an A2 carry handle made in 1993 have a triangle with equal sides.

Another one is my made in 2002 flattop upper AR6721 marked "AR-15A3 Tactical Carbine" with restricted law enforcement marks on the magwell, have a letter "V" but sideways with the point towards the muzzle.

The most common receiver proof marks I've seen was the letter V symbol.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I am not an expert but have surfed this Site for years. It could be that those were not Colt produced uppers. That appears to be a pre-2009 Colt A-2 upper on, maybe, a Colt Lightweight. At this time Colt was busy producing A-4 uppers for the Military. Colt may have consided this a secondary design. Low volume products are often relegated to outside resources. This allows them to focus their time and machinery on their main product. This does not mean that your upper is of inferior quality. That stamping could be a quality control inspection at the factory before assembly. You have a Colt product produced to Colt specifications. Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had seen many since my first Colt SP1 rifle in 1971 up to now but had not seen any list of upper receiver proof markings.

Currently out of my 4 and past 2 newer model Colt AR, the newer models don't have them anymore.

My AR6830 Sporter Lightweight carbine 7.62X39 with an A2 carry handle made in 1993 have a triangle with equal sides.

Another one is my made in 2002 flattop upper AR6721 marked "AR-15A3 Tactical Carbine" with restricted law enforcement marks on the magwell, have a letter "V" but sideways with the point towards the muzzle.

The most common receiver proof marks I've seen was the letter V symbol.
The only reason why i went ahead and purchased it was because I’ve never seen anything like it. Tried to do some research but came up with nothing. Thanks for the insight!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not an expert but have surfed this Site for years. It could be that those were not Colt produced uppers. That appears to be a pre-2009 Colt A-2 upper on, maybe, a Colt Lightweight. At this time Colt was busy producing A-4 uppers for the Military. Colt may have consided this a secondary design. Low volume products are often relegated to outside resources. This allows them to focus their time and machinery on their main product. This does not mean that your upper is of inferior quality. That stamping could be a quality control inspection at the factory before assembly. You have a Colt product produced to Colt specifications. Enjoy!!!
Thank you! I think you are on the right track! This rifle is rocking a non H marked buffer tube so that makes sense! I’ve never seen a colt AR-15 w/o a generation # so i went ahead and picked it up hoping I got something unique.

·
Registered
79 Posts
A Colt Lightweight would have been produced with a standard Carbine buffer. The lighter the rifle, the lighter the buffer, all things being equal otherwise. Those rifles are not rare. They were a favorite of several large Police Departments. Optics are not always the most desirable option. A-2 sights with a fixed carrying handle are more practical and require less maintenance. Most Police carry their weapons often but shoot them very rarely. Worse case scenario would be a rifle which did not function when needed due to long term storage. Some were made with 1 in 9 twist. These are much rarer. I, too, prefer the A-2 fixed sights with the carrying handle. Non-magnifying optics are for faster target acquisition and limited marksmanship skills. I don't fit into either one of those categories. Have you ever tried to teach a 18 year old lady who's never seen a firearm in their life to shoot? It's much easier when you can tell her to put the red dot on the target and pull the trigger. You have a very nice rifle, indeed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts