Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi there!

I'm a former Marine looking to keep his marksmanship skills up. I spoke with a rep from Colt and he told me that they would be making the AR15 A4 again for civilians. Does anyone know when this might happen? He couldn't be specific about dates.

Also, I've heard that the AR15 stamp on the lower receiver makes this model illegal in CA. Can anyone confirm/refute this?

Thanks! I'm looking forward to learning a lot here.

-T

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Not sure if and when Colt will make the A4 but I would imagine you could build one from a M4 pretty easily. As for legal in California it's doubtful, Jerry Brown just vetoed the semi auto bill the other day but I would imagine they will try to over ride him if they have enough votes.
The things against it are detachable magazine, pistol grip and flash suppressor. I'm not even sure if you could own that today in CA.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I had just seen the latest post from a member from AR15.com Colt Industry forum and he called Colt and they told him production on the new A4 rifle might start in December, but most likely after the first of the year.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but I thought all Colt rifles marked AR-15, Sporter, Colt's Law Enforcement Carbine are all in the CA ban list, but the 6920 M4 Carbine markings are off list, maybe you could switch that lower with the AR-15A4 lower receiver.

I hope it comes out soon too, I already made myself a M16A2 clone rifle from all Colt parts, I would like to have an A4 clone but if not I could just buy an A4 upper half if I'm short on funds.

Thanks for your service.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your feedback! I'll double check CA restrictions and the possibility of merging an M4 lower with the upper I want. How does your A2 clone shoot?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Thanks for your feedback! I'll double check CA restrictions and the possibility of merging an M4 lower with the upper I want. How does your A2 clone shoot?
You could check at Calguns.net for info on Colt AR model restrictions, I know that the model LE6920CA marked "M4 Carbine" are allowed because the Colt factory have that specific carbine model with the Bullet Button magazine release installed just for the CA market.

Here are the individual component list that I used on my Colt A2 clone build:

USGI M16A2 Colt upper half (new never issued without bolt assembly group and no charging handle)
Colt M16 full auto bolt carrier group
Colt standard charging handle
Colt stripped model MT6601 "Match Target HBAR" marked lower receiver
Colt lower parts kit (I bought from Specialized Armament Warehouse AZ)
Colt M16A2 complete buttstock group
Mil-spec Crane extractor O-ring

My all Colt A2 clone is my Gulf War I, Blackhawk Down, Israeli IDF style rifle and it also reminds me of the Colt AR rifles that I used to have like SP1, Sporter II, AR-15A2 Sporter HBAR, and Sporter Target.

It groups fine at about 1.5" to 2" at 100 yd using my SS109 Canadian and XM855 62 gr Lake City surplus ammo, using my iron sights only.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the detail on your rifle. It sounds like a great weapon and a lot of fun to shoot.
I hope to be sending some rounds downrange before too long!

I appreciate your feedback, thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think they are available now, but why not just build one like you want?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts