Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even though I have been an "AR guy" a long time I am not well versed in the 9mm variant.
This is an available trade and I took a few cell pics to try to establish value.

A number of inaccuracies have popped up:

Serial number is #NL0030xx
This does not appear on Colt's Serial number lookup page or in any series I can find on the internet.

10.5" barrel
This rifle is on a form 4 and the seller tells me it is factory built but all I can find is 16" as factory length.

Here are some pictures:
IMG_5419.jpg IMG_5413a.jpg IMG_5418.jpg IMG_5412a.jpg IMG_5414a.jpg

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
the serial # that starts with NL is legit NL004800 and under is pre-ban
as for being factory built in that configuration i don't know !!! it might have been sent in to someone to shorten the barrel to make a SBR on a form 4. i take it it is only semi ?? or is it FA ??

by the way your pics are horrible when i try to enlarge them they are all fuzzy and can't tell what i'm looking at.
if you can post better pics would help

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like we both have about the same info eagleeye..........yes it's semi

I only had a cell phone available when I took the pics and doubt that I will get a chance to take better ones until I make the trade (and wait for the form 4...probably 6 months).

If anyone knows whether or not this could have been ordered from Colt with a 10.5" barrel please let me know!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Even though I have been an "AR guy" a long time I am not well versed in the 9mm variant.
This is an available trade and I took a few cell pics to try to establish value.
A number of inaccuracies have popped up:
Serial number is #NL0030xx
This does not appear on Colt's Serial number lookup page or in any series I can find on the internet.
10.5" barrel
This rifle is on a form 4 and the seller tells me it is factory built but all I can find is 16" as factory length.
Look on the Form 4. Who is listed as the manufacturer/importer?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Look on the Form 4. Who is listed as the manufacturer/importer?
Dan

The form 4 lists Colt as the manf'r in box 4a..........
the transferee's and transferor's boxes are all x's.........

I have seen a lot of odd Form 1's and Form 4's so I don't have a lot of faith that it was submitted correctly, but who knows!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Based on the serial number can someone tell me approx manufacture date?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts

Genuine factory Colt Fiberlite CAR Type I (3rd Gen) buttstock body.

Based on the serial number can someone tell me approx manufacture date?
I'm also not an expert but just a very long time Colt AR owner and enthusiast since my first Colt SP1 Sporter in 1971, I don't have any data for the NL serial prefix.

Based just on your roll marking what I could barely see from your picture of R6430 Sporter (does it say Lightweight and CAL. 9mm NATO below it?) roll marking your carbine is from the Sporter series of about 1992 to 1994, blue label box.

I used to have the same Sporter Series in 5.56 models, a model R6530 Sporter Lightweight carbine and a model R6551 Sporter Target rifle both of them I bought new in 1991, the 5.56 Sporter series AR was made from '91 to early '94.

Other components that I noticed on your noted carbine is it have the wrong A1 grip, wrong collapsible buttstock, and it also have a steel sear block in the lower receiver (sear blocks are common with the '91 to '94 Sporter series).

It should have the correct current A2 grip with finger grooves and should have a fixed A2 buttstock, your buttstock also does not look like the same from that era, it should have two small vertical ribs at the bottom of the tube like on the genuine Colt Fiberlite CAR stocks, they were made from 1985 to 2002 (see attached picture).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Genuine factory Colt Fiberlite CAR Type I (3rd Gen) buttstock body.

I'm also not an expert but just a very long time Colt AR owner and enthusiast since my first Colt SP1 Sporter in 1971, I don't have any data for the NL serial prefix.

Based just on your roll marking what I could barely see from your picture of R6430 Sporter (does it say Lightweight and CAL. 9mm NATO below it?) roll marking your carbine is from the Sporter series of about 1992 to 1994, blue label box. From what I have seen this is correct

I used to have the same Sporter Series in 5.56 models, a model R6530 Sporter Lightweight carbine and a model R6551 Sporter Target rifle both of them I bought new in 1991, the 5.56 Sporter series AR was made from '91 to early '94.

Other components that I noticed on your noted carbine is it have the wrong A1 grip, wrong collapsible buttstock, and it also have a steel sear block in the lower receiver (sear blocks are common with the '91 to '94 Sporter series). Are you saying that the steel sear block (in the lower receiver) is wrong? Also if the CAR buttstock is wrong how do I identify this one?

It should have the correct current A2 grip with finger grooves and should have a fixed A2 buttstock, your buttstock also does not look like the same from that era, it should have two small vertical ribs at the bottom of the tube like on the genuine Colt Fiberlite CAR stocks, they were made from 1985 to 2002 (see attached picture). This rifle has an A1 style rear sight and an A1 style grip. Would the rear sight/upper receiver also be wrong for this rifle or did they use the A1 style upper on this model with an A2 grip?

Thank you for your input!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Other components that I noticed on your noted carbine is it have the wrong A1 grip, wrong collapsible buttstock, and it also have a steel sear block in the lower receiver (sear blocks are common with the '91 to '94 Sporter series).
It also looks like an aftermarket large diameter push pin front pivot is being used. It should have the infamous twin screw head large diameter pivot pin assembly installed. The buffer tube retaining castle nut looks to be an aftermarket part also. A Colt one has little cutouts which are staked in place with painted over staking points.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
This rifle has an A1 style rear sight and an A1 style grip. Are you saying that the steel sear block (in the lower receiver) is wrong? Also if the CAR buttstock is wrong how do I identify this one?

Would the rear sight/upper receiver also be wrong for this rifle or did they use the A1 style upper on this model with an A2 grip?
Thank you for your input!

Your steel sear block in the lower receiver is correct and are common for the Sporter '91 to '94 era pre ban Colt AR.

This is how you identify the original factory Colt buttstock body, shown in green circles, it should have two vertical reinforcement ribs, most copy or commercial buttstocks don't have those two vertical ribs like yours.

Your upper receiver is correct with the A1 style rear sight, but it should have also the A2 grip with the finger groove (finger nub), not the A1 grip, Colt stopped using the A1 grip in around 1984-1985.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts