Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Colt Archivist
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone! As a little bit of a teaser, I wanted to share a few mysterious (well, not really mysterious) teaser photos of a few of the guns that the Colt Archives will have for sale at the CCA show next weekend. There are 12 guns in total which we will be bringing, 11 of which have never seen the light of day until their recent shipment for storage outside of the factory last year. All will be accompanied by Colt factory letters, and some MAY have some extras involved as well. All proceeds from these sales help fund directly the significant and ongoing digitization and preservation process for Colt's historical records. We hope to see many of you there!

·
Registered
10,833 Posts
Is that prototype LEP the one Colt had at the Secret Service Match back around 1994? If so, I handled it but not fired it. If I remember the grip area was pretty gnawed up from being modified so many times.

Reactions: ei8ht

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
I'm a CCA life member but can't attend. A grouse hunting trip to Minnesota won out. Will the guns be disclosed in advance for absentee bidding? Steve

·
Colt Archivist
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is that prototype LEP the one Colt had at the Secret Service Match back around 1994? If so, I handled it but not fired it. If I remember the grip area was pretty gnawed up from being modified so many times.
It is not. Only one of the firearms we are bringing had ever left the confines of the factory before their off-site storage last year. This one is in pretty nice shape.

·
Colt Archivist
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm a CCA life member but can't attend. A grouse hunting trip to Minnesota won out. Will the guns be disclosed in advance for absentee bidding? Steve
The guns will be fixed price. We are currently drafting all of the letters and putting together the complete packages right now. We had to narrow our initial list of about 40 guns down to 12, and we had a difficult time making up our minds (even though I do not personally own them, it was hard to decide to let some of these go). We haven't made a final determination as of yet on exact pricing, however, we should have it by the end of the week, or early next week. Individuals attending the CCA show this year are going to be getting the first opportunity at them.

·
Registered
10,833 Posts
It is not. Only one of the firearms we are bringing had ever left the confines of the factory before their off-site storage last year. This one is in pretty nice shape.

My memory is that the pistol I handled was similar to that, but as I said, the grip was pretty butchered being modified continually by a file or something similar. It was .40 caliber as well.

When I was competing in the pistol match my Python suddenly went out of time and was started spitting lead. Colt's tech was there and fixed it for me gratis on the spot. He said he "fixed it backwards" since he didn't have it at the service department. He was a real good guy...had a foreign accent...I cannot remember his name. Since it was '94 I assume he's retired now.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
I sure would love to see all the guns in the collection. Just imagine that... what's in there?! I'm local if you can give a tour!

·
Registered
10,833 Posts
I hope someone takes and posts some good photos of the guns in the collection before they're sold so we mere mortals can look and drool over them long-distance.

·
Colt Archivist
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My memory is that the pistol I handled was similar to that, but as I said, the grip was pretty butchered being modified continually by a file or something similar. It was .40 caliber as well.

When I was competing in the pistol match my Python suddenly went out of time and was started spitting lead. Colt's tech was there and fixed it for me gratis on the spot. He said he "fixed it backwards" since he didn't have it at the service department. He was a real good guy...had a foreign accent...I cannot remember his name. Since it was '94 I assume he's retired now.
That sounds like Little John! He just retired in 2015.

·
Colt Archivist
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hope someone takes and posts some good photos of the guns in the collection before they're sold so we mere mortals can look and drool over them long-distance.
I do plan on taking better ones when we have them all cleaned up and set up at the show. I mostly took some down & dirty pictures prior to them shipping out (insurance proof should something happen in the shipment).

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Complete list of items forthcoming. First opportunity will be given to attendees at the show, however. We have not decided as of yet what we will do with them should there be leftovers. However, I will keep the thread updated.
Well gee..... I guess we should be happy with a shot at the " left-overs". Seriously Paul, why not go through the remaining guns, that didn't make the cut, and offer them exclusively to Colt Forum members?

PS. I would be interested in Silver Star #00001 , the first stainless Model O.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts