Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received an archive letter, can't post at this moment but will, for a 1903 .32 hammerless, shipped to San Jose CA Hardware in July 1937. Anyone have any insight into this business? Regards, Bill

·
Premium Member
3,035 Posts
The best I can come up with is the hardware store was in the "FARMERS UNION BUILDING (NW corner Santa Clara and San Pedro streets)The Farmers Union Corp., established in this building in 1874, was once indispensable to San Jose’s farming community. It served as an agricultural cooperative and bank, and, throughout the late 19th and early 20th centuries, was the chief general merchandiser to rural Santa Clara County. The hardware store weathered the depression by expanding its scope, selling “everything for the home, garden and farm.”"

Attachments

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Holy cow! What a resource Elliot! I can see a 1930's customer

pulling up and someone needing a nice pocket pistol. Thanks, Bill

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Wow...San Jose was fun then!

I know there used to be enormous Walnut Tree Groves, and they were all being torn out by the late 1960s, for burgeoning urbanization, smog, over crowding and crime and so forth to have more room.

We used to go to the Flea Market off 17th Street I think, back in the mid to latter 1960s.

Smog got so bad, I stopped going by around then.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts