Colt Forum banner

41 - 60 of 594 Posts

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Paul,

Would you say that most of the SAA's shipped to "famous" (sorry famous is such a subjective word, I'm mainly referring to notable figures in the old west scene... i.e. like the Commonly referenced Bat Masterson etc) have been lettered or at least identified in some way? Or are there so many single actions that it would be impossible to say?

I always pretty much imagined there were guns out there that may have been shipped to notable locations that have not yet been lettered/identified, but at the same time I had guessed there weren't too many left out there sent to individuals that hadn't been unearthed.

Thanks in advance for your time!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Paul-

What is cost/turnaround time for letters one has previously purchased , but simply wants re-addressed to "Colt Collector", "To Whom it may Concern", etc?

·
Colt Archivist
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Paul,

Would you say that most of the SAA's shipped to "famous" (sorry famous is such a subjective word, I'm mainly referring to notable figures in the old west scene... i.e. like the Commonly referenced Bat Masterson etc) have been lettered or at least identified in some way? Or are there so many single actions that it would be impossible to say?

I always pretty much imagined there were guns out there that may have been shipped to notable locations that have not yet been lettered/identified, but at the same time I had guessed there weren't too many left out there sent to individuals that hadn't been unearthed.

Thanks in advance for your time!
Your household names, I would say more than likely those numbers can probably be Googled for guys like Masterson, which has, of course, led to fakes. Without there being a comprehensive database outlining each shipping destination for every gun, I would have to believe that there are likely some notable locations & famous people in there. Just in searching through the records doing letter research, I occasionally stumble upon shipments to interesting places. Haven't stumbled upon anybody truly noteworthy without there being a notation from Ron Wagner, Marty Huber, Kathy Hoyt, or Bev next to it though. My personal favorite is Grover Cleveland's 8 gauge (yup, 8 gauge) hammerless shotgun. He was like 400 pounds so i suppose he wouldn't feel as much kick as my 170 would. I pass by his name written in there often when looking for shotguns. I believe its in the NRA museum if I'm not mistaken.

·
Colt Archivist
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Paul-

What is cost/turnaround time for letters one has previously purchased , but simply wants re-addressed to "Colt Collector", "To Whom it may Concern", etc?
$35 (or, $31.50 if you are a CCA member) and those usually are a couple weeks. We always double check the research on them to ensure 100% accuracy and, of course, authenticity. They are usually quick because we have a shipping date already which makes it easy for us to check in most cases.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I have talked to Paul many times and he's a great resource. I know my letter on the Colt New Line .32 is still a possibility (glad to hear you don't give up). Welcome to the Forum, Paul. You will be appreciated here.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Great to see this thread, Paul. If you remember our last conversation, I told you that you would get a great response if you did this. My predictions ALWAYS come true. Ha!

When requesting both the date of manufacture and the shipping date for a gun, does it slow the process or does finding one date lead you to the other?

·
Colt Archivist
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Great to see this thread, Paul. If you remember our last conversation, I told you that you would get a great response if you did this. My predictions ALWAYS come true. Ha!

When requesting both the date of manufacture and the shipping date for a gun, does it slow the process or does finding one date lead you to the other?
Date of manufacture is usually in with the production books, AKA the place we start, so it doesn't slow down the research. We don't include them except by request mostly because they aren't available for everything, and even their inclusion in the production books is inconsistent. Most guns ship within a short period of time from the manufacture date. I think there are cases it is helpful, if someone questions a shipping date that doesn't match the blue book guide or the serial number lookup on the Colt website, or if you have something unusual that shipped far out from where you'd expect, it could explain a late shipment if you have a manufacture date in, say 1930 and a shipping date of 1935.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Paul, I can't believe that you've got the time for this, but thank you! Your responses will be part of Colt lore.

However, I did just notice on the Archive site that expected wait times have jumped to 200 days!?

All kidding aside, your turn around time and the services your division offer are fantastic and greatly appreciated.

Brian

·
Colt Archivist
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Paul, I can't believe that you've got the time for this, but thank you! Your responses will be part of Colt lore.

However, I did just notice on the Archive site that expected wait times have jumped to 200 days!?

All kidding aside, your turn around time and the services your division offer are fantastic and greatly appreciated.

Brian
Not a problem. I do get some breaks during the day, since Bev isn't running a sweatshop (yet :p). I see a part of my job as keeping up with what is going on in the collecting world, and also trying to help people understand the archives, as even some of the more experienced purchasers of letters have plenty of questions on them.

Where do you see 200 days??? I couldn't find it on the site. If it is on Colts site, I'd like to have it corrected, as 200 days would likely scare away a good amount of people.... Right now we are quoting 100, and everything that does not present us with an issue is probably getting out right on time, if not slightly faster. The majority of the research we are working on currently came in at the end of August - beginning of September.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
That 200 days was the target of the "all kidding" - sorry if I scared anyone past the finish of my post! My experiences have all been inside your projected 100 days.

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
Paul, it is so good of you to join the Forum and pour out so much of yourself and your expertise; it is greatly appreciated! Hopefully this thread CAN be made into a sticky at some point in time but for now I'm bookmarking it for further and future reference, THANKS!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Hi Paul!
I just called and left a message for Joe regarding a Colt Letter I received yesterday. It opens up some questions I hope can be further researched. Below is part of a post I posted on the SAA Forum:

The Bisley was shipped to Krakauer, Zork, & Moye Company in El Paso Texas in April 1907.

The record then has further remarks: The revolver was returned to the factory in October 1907 and was in a shipment of 15 guns to Richards & Conover Hardware Company in November of 1907. "The dealer was located in Kansas City, Missouri and Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. However, the records do not specify which of these locations received this shipment."

All of this is interesting and I guess the good news. The bad news is the Bisley is currently a 32-20 and it letters as a 38-40!

My questions...is it advisable while Jim has it to look into converting it back and/or was it converted when sent back to the factory? I guess there is no way to tell if it was converted at the factory?

One major question is why was it sent back and was the caliber change done at the Colt factory?

41 - 60 of 594 Posts