Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry I didn't post this thread correctly the first time so it was hard for anyone the pick up on it.
I came across this Colt 1917 DA 45 with two cylinders complete with cranes. One is 45 ACP and the other 45 LC.
The pistol is in really good shape for it's age. My question is does anyone know if they were ever issued with two complete cylinders? The numbers match on both cranes and frame, Colt #2028xx. The government number on the butt is 493xx. I think the manufacture date is 1919. Can anyone confirm this and what do you think market value would be. I'll try to post pictures. Colt 1917 #2.jpg Colt 1917 #3.jpg Colt 1917 #4.jpg Colt 1917.jpg

·
Registered
7,286 Posts
Wow! If it is numbered that way it sounds like colt must have done it and probley was a one off! I had the same exact thing done to a 1917 S&W about 40 years ago, but had a good gunsmith do it. I got a .455 clyinder and another crane. He reamed the clyinder to .45 colt and fitted up the extra crane with the clyinder to the gun to give me a convertable. At the same time I also had him install smith target sights with a colt trooper looking front ramp and sight. Also had him add metal to the hammer and beavertail it. Would a gunsmith be allowed to put the same # on the crane and clyinder? I would think only the factory could legaly do that, plus there would be no reason for a gunsmith to do that except for a far out extra nice touch! You just might have something there! Would a letter be able to affirm that? If so you could just about retire on that gun!

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Regardless of who did it, your dual cylinder gun is both interesting and useful. It will be difficult to prove that Colt did the conversion since it would normally require a repair ticket from Colt, and they are not generally available. If you can relate all of the markings on the gun, including under the grips, there may be some marking that denotes a Colt rework. While not knowing what was reworked, it may be enough to speculate on the conversion.

Your Colt M1917 with service number 49362 was delivered to the Government during the week of March 30, 1918, calculated from data in Pate's book. Proofhouse is not reliable for M1917's and New Services made around WWI.

If you will, please PM me the full serial number (2028xx) of your gun for my M1917 database. Nothing in the database relates a particular revolver to its owner.

Regards,

Buck

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. The scary thing is, it's at a friend of mine's gun shop and he took it to a gun show this weekend. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that he didn't sell it. I guess I should have called him and told him to hold on to it. Well, I'll find out tomorrow. Will keep you informed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I feel pretty foolish. I checked out the gun again this morning. The serial number on the extra crane/cylinder does not match. I guess in my exitement of finding the gun I didn't pay close enough attention. Boy do I feel like an idiot I could have sworn the numbers matched. I'm not sure if the extra cylinder and crane came from another gun or was ordered from the factory. It has some age so it has been with the gun for a while. Still interesting. Haven't decided on the purchase yet. I think I can get it for about $900. Of course I do have to come up with the money first.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts