Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the weird and fun stuff that comes into my shop.
A customer brought in a really cool Colt Special Army revolver, in 32-20, wanting to sell. No great shakes except it had a nicely done barrel cut to 2". It came from a AZ sheriff and whoever did the barrel, did a nice job. Did Colt ever do anything like this? I was wondering.
I didn't buy it as dithered with guns I'm reluctant to place much value on so I made a low offer, but he may bring it back. I never can tell.
Thanks for any enlightenment. :)

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
It is possible - but pretty unlikely - that this was a Factory 'Special order' or a Factory Modification done to an existing Revolver.

Or, chances are, someone did it or had their local Gunsmith do it.

If it is the original finish, and was done well, and has good timing and lock-up and a decent Bore and good Factory Stocks...should be worth between 2 and 3 hundred anyway, with the way things are now.

if refinished, worn mechanism, then, of course, would be a considerably lower value.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Would that be a wholesale price you are suggesting to Docneely on account of him being a "gun Dealer" and probably looking to sell at a profit. Thanks.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Would that a wholesale price you are suggesting to Docneely on account of him being a "gun Dealer" and probably looking to sale it at a profit. Thanks.

It gets complicated...

An informed student of the genre, would not likely pay much more than "3", if the finish was original and Mechanism 'good', and the Chop-Job was done well ( Half Round Front Sight, moved back nicely ) and so on.

An uninformed or impetuous person, new to the genre, and in a hurry, if being Bucks-Up, would tend to pay more.

What is a 'fair' Price or Fair value then?

I would think, it is the same as it had been all along.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree with all of you. Unlikely, and my guess was it was a $300 gun (retail). The short barrel and law enforcement history was interesting. Thanks folks.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
:cool:How about a pair of Detective Specials in 32-20, a 2" bbl & a 3" bbl:confused:

Reactions: broncodude
1 - 8 of 8 Posts