Colt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Colt Army Special 38 serial # 525120 L , on the frame in front of the trigger guard. was wondering what the L means after the ser. # Also any more info If anyone knows about the gun. on the side of the barrel it is marked Colt Army 38
Special

top of barrel marked Colt PT F.A. MFG. CO.
Hartford Ct usa
Pat'd aug 5 1884 june 5 1900 july 4 19

I tried researching but confusing info is it. Gen1 or Gen2 ? The gun was inspected and was 90 to 95%..
No wear on the bluing and the inspector said it not been reblued...
Any help would be appreciated. the ser.# shows 1926 Thanks ahead..

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
The "L" would be an Inspector's Stamp. ( And is not part of the Serial Number of course).

Can you post some images of the Army Special?

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Where is the "L" located, in line behind the number, or below or above it?

Buck

·
Premium Member
6,055 Posts
If your Army Special is a 1926 model, it should look like mine. The later guns had the checked wood grips. Earlier guns had black, hard rubber grips. "First generation" and "second generation" are terms usually associated with the Colt Single Action Army, not with the Army Special.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you have looked at hopalongs colt it is a exact match. neil 1941, would anyone know the value of the special.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
The L is under the ser.#
Then it probably means that the sights were "lined up", meaning that the assembler visually adjusted the front sight to top dead center. If it had been a "T", it would have been "targeted", or had its sights adjusted to match POA and POI.

Buck

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I'd hate to offer a guess without some good, clear photos. I prefer to use my own eyes rather that someone else's for valuation.

Buck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.