Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This arrived today. It was built in 1914 by serial number (366xxx). I added the stags that I already had on hand. It'll ride in the S.D. Myres holster. I bought some Ultra Max 200gr. RNL. So, I'll give it some range time very soon. :)

Best,
Charles

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
Great old Colt in a great old caliber. Not an easy caliber and barrel combination to find. The Stags look great. Enjoy your Colt.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Please get back with us on your shooting impressions.

Sure looks good from here!

The .41 Long Colt has proven to be big fun to own and use in the Army Special.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I know that the .41 Colt cartridge is an oddball and really requires careful handloading but I want one anyway. If a nice old Army Special presented itself to me I would have a hard time passing on it. I already load for a .22 Remington Magnum (.22 Jet) and a pair of Swedish and Swiss Nagants in 7.5x22mmR so adding another challenging cartridge would not phase me.

·
The Consummate Collector
7,160 Posts
I have seen renewed interest in the Army Special over the last year and the selling prices just keep climbing. My first collector pre war Colt double action was an Army Special. It took me many years to finally collect all of the calibers and barrel lengths and the short barrel in .41 was the hardest to acquire. Here are a couple of pictures of the .41 calibers:

4" Army Special in .41 caliber:

A nickel 5" in .41 caliber:

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Just reminiscing.

Probably 38-40 years ago when I was just a little younger, I encountered a 4-inch nickel Army Special in .41 Long Colt in a local pawn shop in the town in which I lived. It's nickel finish was shabby, but it seemed to be in first rate shooting condition, at least to my then uneducated-to-Colt eye. I "finger-printed" it on a few occasions for the year or so it lived in the glass case holding the pawn shop's inventory. Seems like they wanted a little over a hundred dollars for it at the time which seemed like way too much money. After some time it was gone but the combination of what I considered a modern double-action revolver design with the .41 Long Colt cartridge fired my imagination for many years before I indulged myself and acquired one.

Was one of those acquisitions where the reality of owning and using it proved more gratifying than the dream. The Army Special .41 is actually useful. It'd suit for a whole lot of side arm applications.

Participated in a Colt Forum Match tailored for the Official Police and Army Special revolvers a few years back using the .41 Army Special. Had to shoot two cylinders-full at this specified target, one at 10 (or was it 15) yards and one at 25 yards.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts