Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the Colts I own is an Army Special double action 38 caliber vintage 1921. Any thoughts on using +P ammo?

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
i would hesitate to use +p in any pre 26 gun, i belive the metalurgy was updated about that time. some of the later e-frame guns could "in my opinion" be used with +p. i know the later o/p`s were rated for the .38-44 of the era {1930`s}

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
while the same "size" and configuration as the Official Polices" that followed it circa 1926,I "suspect" the steel in the Army Special cylinder probably lacked the heat treating,especially after 1930 on the Official Polices,which were rated for the 38/44 hi speed ammo.

So,I would use standard velocity,or the equivalent handloads,not exceeding 850 fps. with 158 gr. lead bullets.

Bud

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[ QUOTE ]
while the same "size" and configuration as the Official Polices" that followed it circa 1926,I "suspect" the steel in the Army Special cylinder probably lacked the heat treating,especially after 1930 on the Official Polices,which were rated for the 38/44 hi speed ammo.

So,I would use standard velocity,or the equivalent handloads,not exceeding 850 fps. with 158 gr. lead bullets.

Bud

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks.. Will stay with the standard load. VR.. Don

1 - 5 of 5 Posts