Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Sebago Son from the S&W forum sent me here. We were discussing .32-20's. I have a Colt Army Special ser.#303xxx. Could anyone here give me any info about how old this may be. Unfortunately it was re-finished before it was given to me late 1959-early 1960. Thanks, Clipper1

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
No,Clipper,it was me,Lonewolf that sent uou here from the S&W Forum. Your gun was made in 1908,FIRST year of Army Special. So, as I said on the S&W Forum,it should have hard rubber grips!

Bud

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry about that Lonewolf! I guess I might be looking to find a pair of grips to make things right. How hard to get a set? I apologize again for the mis-nomer. 'forumizing' is a new experience for me....but I am enjoying!
clipper1

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Describe the wood grips("stocks" over here in Colt Country) that are on the gun now,as there were "optional extra cost" wood stocks available at that time. What is the barrel length,as measured from the front of the cylinder? 6" tended to be the most common,on the pre W. W. Two Colts and S&Ws,but there were shorter lengths available.

Too bad the gun was refinished,as the Colts made prior to World War One,or roughly 1918, all came with an incredible carbona type bluing,fire blued screws,and were all hand polished. Only drawback was ,that this bluing tended to wear quickly if the gun was not cared for properly,so many of these older Colts have been given a "reblue". To save time,and $,Colt went to less polishing after 1918,but still a nice finish,at least I think so,compared to the "dip blue" jobs on most current revolvers,that is when one can find a blued one!

Hope this helps,
Bud /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Re: Colt Army Special how old? a photo

Those stocks are from a later model Official Police,a pre World War 2.

Nice looking gun,and looks like front sight rear was filed flat,from a 1/2 moon. This gives a better sight picture and was fairly common alteration by the owner.

Bud

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Well Lonewolf, thanks again. The pic shows it exactly as I recieved it all those years ago, but I might like to try to find a set of those hard rubber stocks for it.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts

Clipper;Frankly,I would keep those nice wooden stocks on the gun. It has been refinished and has the front sight filed,so would not gain any value from putting the "correct" gutta percha stocks on it.

The reproductions are plastic,run between 20-30 bucks,and usually DON'T come with the 2 escutcheons and grip screw,and it can be a pain in the ass finding a screw set that "fits".

As far as the originals becoming brittle,I will second what dfariswheel said,but NONE of my roughly 20 Colts that have the original Gutta Percha stocks have any shrinkage! Elmer Keith mentioned this in his book,"Sixguns",about the shrinkage,and it is usually caused by carrying them in direct sunlight and hot weather. Most of my Colts are from Northern New England where I live-so we don't have that problem!!! I have seen guys overtighten them,and they split on recoil! They also are more prone to breaking if ya' drop the gun than wood!

What I HAVE seen,is a couple of pair loose their black pigment,and turn a yellowish brown; have a 38/40 New Service this has happened to,and another I sold.

Also,beware of SOME of the aftermarket "grips" by Franzite,which used to be popular. They look nice,are made of plastic,and come in a variety of styles-but for some reason,they tend to run small for the E frames-the size frame of the Army Special,leaving an unsightly "gap" at the top. Jay Scotts are much better! Grips for a Python,Official Police,and Officers Model(revolver) will also fit your gun..

Bud

1 - 11 of 11 Posts