Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought this cheap for a shooter. Had pachmayr grips on it. These old guns amaze me. Shoots point of aim, 15 ft or 100ft. Anyway ordered a Colt letter. Shipped to Maine. Took the pachmayrs off. Cleaned the backstrap. Engraved " Maine Bureau of Prohibition". So would the grips be wood or hard rubber back then? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Since it is not documented on the letter I assume it was done at the final destination? Is there a way you can get a better pic to show the engraving? If only it could talk.
Either way, a nice setup!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since it is not documented on the letter I assume it was done at the final destination? Is there a way you can get a better pic to show the engraving? If only it could talk.
Either way, a nice setup!
Wish i could. Guess my 15 year old camera needs an upgrade! or my eyesight.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wish i could. Guess my 15 year old camera needs an upgrade! or my eyesight.
Ok. I removed some of the patina(rust). It's just a shooter anyway. Finally got better pictures. From a 20 year old camera. Geez, i ani't got enough time to catch up with all this computer stuff.

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Much better. That is a MUCH better camera than I have.
it's a 20 year old Pentx, that only takes 2GB disks. impossible to find. But it's a slr. meaning i can focus it. instead of the point and shoot stuff today.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
I need readers to see the fine sights on my 1920 army special 6” but as you say, I can hit anything I aim at out to 100 yards pretty easily.

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
Wow being a Mainer and also a big fan of the prohibition era, I'm pretty jealous. Great find!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Wow being a Mainer and also a big fan of the prohibition era, I'm pretty jealous. Great find!
Being a Mainer (sometimes affectionately deemed, Maineiac) and a big fan of Colt Army Special revolvers sold to a gun store in Maine at the beginning of Prohibition, I am equally jealous. 🥒

The hard rubber grips look right.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Your gun is wearing a set of New Army stocks. You need to find a set of Army special stocks like these.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
That's a cool old Army Special. I got to wondering about the backstrap marking and the shipping date and thought that a little historical perspective might be interesting. From Wikipedia:

On November 18, 1918, prior to ratification of the Eighteenth Amendment, the U.S. Congress passed the temporary Wartime Prohibition Act, which banned the sale of alcoholic beverages having an alcohol content of greater than 1.28%.[11] (This act, which had been intended to save grain for the war effort, was passed after the armistice ending World War I was signed on November 11, 1918.) The Wartime Prohibition Act took effect June 30, 1919

The U.S. Senate proposed the Eighteenth Amendment on December 18, 1917. Upon being approved by a 36th state on January 16, 1919, the amendment was ratified as a part of the Constitution. By the terms of the amendment, the country went dry one year later, on January 17, 1920.

On October 28, 1919, Congress passed the Volstead Act, the popular name for the National Prohibition Act, over President Woodrow Wilson's veto. The act established the legal definition of intoxicating liquors as well as penalties for producing them.[16] Although the Volstead Act prohibited the sale of alcohol, the federal government lacked resources to enforce it.

So a March of 1919 shipment sure falls right in the proper timeline for a nation that was gearing up for enforcement of the 18th Amendment and/or the Wartime Prohibition Act.

Possibly there is some kind of Maine or Portland Maine historical society that could provide some information on the Bureau of Prohibition ?

·
Registered
43 Posts
In twaits’ post above is a link to the Maine Historical Society. May be able to contact them to help with investigating the store in Portland.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts