Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone out there have an Army Special Model revolver with a serial number below 300001? How about a New Army or New Navy DA Model with a serial number above 293141???
Thanks! Any Information would be appreciated! Bob Best

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by COLTDAGUY:
Does anyone out there have an Army Special Model revolver with a serial number below 300001? How about a New Army or New Navy DA Model with a serial number above 293141???
Thanks! Any Information would be appreciated! Bob Best
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess from the lack of repies, that no one out there has any Army Specials below serial number 300,001! Does anyone out there collect Colt's DA Army & Navy Model revolvers or the Army Special Models????

·
Registered
585 Posts
Hi Bob: I have several Colt DA .38 martial revolvers in my collection, but none are above the specified serial range. I don't own an Army Special, but a good friend has a nice one. I'll ask him to check his serial number and will let you know if if falls into the range you are interested in.
Charlie Flick

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ordnanceguy:
Charlie Flick[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Charlie, Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question! I would certainly be interested in hearing about your friend's Army Special... What kind of Colt DA New Army or New Navy revolvers do you have? I collect the Model 1889 and later model DA revolvers up through about the 1908 period... I'm always interested in hearing about the Colt DA revolvers. Do you have any Navy contract models? I'm looking for one that was inspected by Lieutenant W. B. Whittelsey and would have "WBW" on the butt... Most likely in the 95xxx serial number range... Thanks for the info! Bob Best

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Besides the "transitional model" D.A. Army in 32/30 that Ive mentioned earlier, the only other of this type that I have is a First Issue Officers Model Target#2424xx. Chambered for .38 Special with the correctly stepped chambers and correcrt size bore,checkered back strap & the typical adj. sights.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like quite a nice Officers Model Target revolver! It is pretty early too... The earliest one I know of is in the 234xxx serial number range... Thanks for the info! Bob

·
Registered
585 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by COLTDAGUY:
Hi Charlie, What kind of Colt DA New Army or New Navy revolvers do you have? Do you have any Navy contract models? Bob Best<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Bob: On the martial DAs, I have a Model of 1892, a Model of 1894, a US Navy Model 1895 , and a Model of 1901. The Navy was inspected by Lt. James L. Sticht. I may see my pal with the Army Special this weekend and if so, I'll check the serial number for you.
Charlie

[This message has been edited by ordnanceguy (edited 06-10-2004).]

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Charlie! Thanks for answering my post and for checking further with your friend on the Army Special! The navy model sounds interesting... I have Lt. James L. Sticht inspecting Navy contract Model 1895 revolvers in the 225xxx to 227xxx serial number range for the navy... Does yours fall in this range? I sent you an email too... If you didn't get it let me know. Thanks again!

Bob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Charlie, Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question! I would certainly be interested in hearing about your friend's Army Special... What kind of Colt DA New Army or New Navy revolvers do you have? I collect the Model 1889 and later model DA revolvers up through about the 1908 period... I'm always interested in hearing about the Colt DA revolvers. Do you have any Navy contract models? I'm looking for one that was inspected by Lieutenant W. B. Whittelsey and would have "WBW" on the butt... Most likely in the 95xxx serial number range... Thanks for the info! Bob Best<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Bob:
I just got on the forum and have a question.
I got my dads DA 38 recently and am trying to figure out what it is. It sn 286713. The cylinder rotates ccw, has extra stops(?) on the cylinder and pats 84',88',and 95'. It has the colt stamp on the left side above the grip. The grips have been replace sometime. I have been told it is an Army/Navy model 82'-04 made is 07'. I would appricate any info you might have.
Thanks
John Roberson

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi John! Thanks for sending the information on your Dad's Colt. The gun is either a New Navy Model, if it had the hard rubber grips with the word "COLT" or the New Army Model if it has the Rampant Colt Horse and two roses on them. Check to see if the grips are original... they should have the assembly number scratched into the rear surface. If you want to know which model it is for sure write for a Colt historical letter. This gun is near the end of production of the New Army/Navy series. The final serial numbers for them were in the 293xxx range. This model is commonly refered to by collectors as the "Model 1895". 1907 is probably pretty close for the year of manufacture. Colt changed the cylinder rotation direction and sideplate location when they went to the Army Special Model in 1908. Your gun should have the late type frame that has the frame blending into the trigger guard rather than the distinctive milled "step" from the frame to the trigger guard. The last patent date ('95) on the barrel refers to the addition of the cylinder latch locking mechanism that was added to keep the revolver from firing when the cylinder was not completely seated in the frame. The small screw head just below and centered on the cylinder release latch holds the mechanism in place inside the frame. Mr. F. B. Felton, a Colt engineer was granted the patent for this on March 5th, 1895. Hence the '95 patent date on the barrel... Hope that helps! Bob Best

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Bob:
Thanks a lot for your reply. My grips are only checkered without any design nor numbers on the back side. I guess they are not original for sure. Something I failed to mentioned was a small triangle on the left side at the front of the trigger guard with the initials VP which is made together.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
John,

The "VP" in the triangle is Colt's "Verified Proof" mark. Colt began using it about 1904 and it signified that the revolver was tested and passed all of the inspections before being released to ship. There should be a small number near the "VP" on the left front TG web or possibly on the left rear web that was the inspector's mark. Bob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts