Colt Forum banner

61 - 80 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Recently purchased this Army Special in .38 spcl from my local Cabelas. It dates to 1922 and was one of a pair for sale in the same store with close, but not consecutive serial #s. I attempted to barter for the other with no dice. Both have "MPD" marked on the bottom of the butt. I understand that the Memphis PD issued these at one time, so who knows perhaps its a lawman's gun? I fond of Army Specials. Growing up we had my g-g-grandfather's .32-20 in the house and that was the first pistol I ever fired. IMG_3158.JPG

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I have several of these old warhorses. However, I don't think I've ever posted this one from 1921. It has a 5" bbl. & started out as a blued gun in a shipment of 50 to the "Met. Police Department" in Kansas City MO. The officer's name (E D Reedy) is engraved on the butt.

Best,
Charles

Attachments

·
Registered
635 Posts
1919 Colt Army
Gold bead front sight, opened rear sight groove
Lanyard ring installed
Chamfer cylinder chambers
Polished hammer/trigger, Action tuned
Reblue gun

Have original stocks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Here are a few photos of my Army Special. Wearing ivory stocks (it came with Jay Scott "pearlite" stocks). Somewhere along the line it had been customized with a modified hammer and had the back and front straps checkered. Note also that the front sight has been modified.

Note the backstrap and hammer:

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Although it had its own 3 page thread here is my 1920 made 5" barreled Army Special chambered in .41 Colt. I bought two boxes of ammo to shoot in it; as many of you know - its a great shooter!

I found this in a local gun shop here in the San Antonio Area. Although not a steal of a deal (unlike some of my fantastic scores over the years) I got it for a fair price...

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
Here are a few photos of my Army Special. Wearing ivory stocks (it came with Jay Scott "pearlite" stocks). Somewhere along the line it had been customized with a modified hammer and had the back and front straps checkered. Note also that the front sight has been modified.

Note the backstrap and hammer:

Those modifications are extremely nice..!

Wow...I like that a lot...beautifully done...

Did you do this or have it done? Or, was it this way when you got it?

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Thanks for the compliments. All that I did was replace the Jay Scott "pearlite" stocks with the Ivory that you see. The rest had been done a long time ago. There is a six pointed star on the right hand side of the triggergaurd which, I believe may denote a trip back to the factory. Some day I'll letter it to see if some or all of this work may have been done there.

61 - 80 of 123 Posts