Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
It looks like someone peened the heck out of the trigger guard. Better photos in good light are needed. Show all of the markings in clear, large, non-grainy photos

·
Registered
223 Posts
Welcome to the Colt forum from Pa . Is this your first Colt ?
If you're going to take more pics please include one of the letter also .
IMO artillerys are highly desirable . This often leads to fakery in a lot of models . Good clear pics of all the markings on the gun plus any letters or information you have are a must . Hope to see some soon .
Regards ,
Kal

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
here are more photos I am not very good with photos I will try to post the letter latter serial is 94581

Attachments

·
Premium Member
18,994 Posts
Welcome to the Colt Forum! That looks like a Military SAA that has seen a lot of use. On the forum we see some that are all original but mostly the ones we see are heavily modified with parts that have been salvaged from other SAA's. Your barrel appears to be about 5" in length. The Artillery Model had a 5-1/2" barrel.

·
Premium Member
18,994 Posts
Mike, I may have just been looking at the picture from the wrong angle. I hope it is 5-1/2".
The damage to the TG is unusual.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Reading the letter its plain to see why we don't stress a 100.00-150.00 factory letter on a US gun. Doesn't tell you much. We usually like to see hi res well lit pics of serial numbers and various factory and inspector stampings. Looks like a real but somewhat unremarkable artillery model SAA. Call colt and have them check for a 2nd shipping address after the artillery conversion. Its not a Rough rider gun but many were used in Cuba and Philippines which makes them more interesting.
What are the other visible serials and inspectors initials?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the inspector was DFC barrel is 3594 Trigger guard 139301 Cil 5893 I would try to post better pics but I am having problems downloading to my computer if I call colt will they give me the the additional information without paying for another letter? the cost of letters and the amount of info you receive is why I never got one for my 1860 colt

·
Registered
223 Posts
One SAA I got lettered did have two shipping dates on it . Your Artillery model I believe would have been reconfigured at an arsenal not Colt . The two dated letter was a civilian six Shooter . Is your 1860 military maybe ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes my 1860 is military has a faint inspection stamp on the grip. The other thing I was wondering about was the absence of the RAC stamp on the bottom of the wood grip

·
Registered
223 Posts
yes my 1860 is military has a faint inspection stamp on the grip. The other thing I was wondering about was the absence of the RAC stamp on the bottom of the wood grip
Could have worn off . Did you visit the percussion section , there is a vast list of 1860 army serial numbers there and the appropriate place to post pics of yours .

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
The posted Colt US SAA started as a 7 and 1/2 inch all matching cavalry model. It is now a 5 and 1/2 inch mixed number gun. The barrel and cylinder numbers being only 4 digits long make it impossible to discern the entire serial number of the gun the came from. The cylinder should have an inspector number and a P proof mark. The trigger and backstrap should have full serial numbers and it can be determined if they came from a US issue gun or a civilian model. Even if all parts are military it is near impossible to tell if this how it was when converted to an artillery or even if it was a legitimate artillery model. Many guns were modified by Colt at their factory and their records record this information and it is usually included in the letter. An examination by Kopec would be needed to authenticate the gun and even then some may not agree with it as Artillery Models are quite controversial in many cases. His examination may also reveal many faults with the gun that obviously would hurt the value. His letters are also very expensive.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts