Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the colt artillery that I own does not have the serial number stamped on the back strap .Has anyone seen other examples with out the serial number on the back strap. I have read that some of these were rebuilt at Springfield armory and the rest at Colt is there identify where a particular gun was rebuilt

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
the colt artillery that I own does not have the serial number stamped on the back strap .Has anyone seen other examples with out the serial number on the back strap. I have read that some of these were rebuilt at Springfield armory and the rest at Colt is there identify where a particular gun was rebuilt
Pictures would help. But I have seen a few reworked at the arsenal, or at Colt's, with no backstrap number. In some cases the number was polished off, maybe to also remove a Regimental Marking, such as "Co E 4 Cav". In other cases the backstrap is simply a replacement part that was never given a number.

·
Registered
502 Posts
A factory replacement part would not have a serial number on it. Post photos and someone more knowledgeable than I will likely comment.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I posted pictures last week when I got the gun. I just had some additional questions about the back strap but while I an thinking about it can the RAC inspection stamp be found on both colt and Springfield rebuilds

·
Premium Member
19,179 Posts
Remember that a lot of so called Artilleries were put together by Flayderman after he purchased lots of surplus government parts. There are many possible explanations for unusual Artilleries.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Remember that a lot of so called Artilleries were put together by Flayderman after he purchased lots of surplus government parts. There are many possible explanations for unusual Artilleries.
I also heard that Dr. Shugars put a few of these "Artilleries" together from parts. He had a long list of serial numbers.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have an artillery SAA with an unnumbered replacement backstrap. It is only marked with a small "G" inspection mark. My gun has a good Kopec letter in which he says the "G" mark was used by a yet to be identified inspector at Colt.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I have an artillery SAA with an unnumbered replacement backstrap. It is only marked with a small "G" inspection mark. My gun has a good Kopec letter in which he says the "G" mark was used by a yet to be identified inspector at Colt.
Yes, I have seen the "G" on backstraps and trigger guards in the 1143xx thru 1148xx range. The G appears on both U.S. and civilian Colt SAA's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts