Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the deal with Colt, they seem to go in the right direction and then shoot themselves in the foot? They do this by either overpricing themselves out of the market, e.g. the Peacemaker, or discontinue an item before it gets a chance to get going. I am also at a loss as to why they refuse to make Anaconda sized guns anymore. I think it would be great if they would make a modern version of the Colt 1917, utilizing moon clips and .45 ACP.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,887 Posts
Overpricing:
Colt is locked into a situation where they are both a Union company, AND strongly tied to the State of Connecticut.

It simply COSTS Colt more to make ANYTHING, and there is little they can do about it.

Colt is in an extremely weak financial state, can't afford to buy the new tooling and equipment that would lower prices.

They are captive to a Union that refuses to permit them to introduce techniques and equipment that would allow them to reduce workers, and the union is backed up by the state, who has a stake in the company.

Anaconda sized guns:
Colt DOES make the Anaconda.
Like most large frame guns, the Anaconda is a niche gun.
Not everybody wants a large frame, Magnum revolver.

Yes, some people would like a modern version of the 1917, and in fact, the company has discussed making a modern REPRODUCTION (NOT replica) of the New Service.

The problem is, such guns would not be big sellers, and what Colt needs are BIG sellers, not niche products.

S&W makes a variety of "replica" (not exact reproduction) guns. These have not been big sellers, and it looks like most of them are being discontinued.

Colt simply doesn't have the resources to allow such experiments.

So Colt has a choice: Make the popular and good selling 1911 versions, OR risk everything on a gun that just isn't going to be a big seller.

You can make a gun that tens of thousands of people will buy, like the 1911, or you can make a gun that a few thousand people will buy like a modern .45 Colt 1917.

One will keep the company afloat and allow it to grow, the other would sink them without a ripple.

It's all about marketing. You have to make choices, and the worse off your situation is, the more careful you have to be about those choices.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree with what you are saying, but I think it would be easier if Colt just "went out of business" reorganized in a gun friendly state like Arizona or Virginia. Problem would be that Conn. would have some of the rights to the trademark and it would not let it happen, unions and lawyers aside. I was not aware that the Anaconda was a regular current production gun at Colt. I disagree about the replicas that S&W makes, they are made in limited quantities and usually sell very well and very quickly. I confess, I am a much bigger fan of S&W than Colt by a wide margin for this and other reasons.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Colt screw-ups:

Does not make a single .38 caliber evolver. yes, you can shoot a .38 thru .357 magnum, but what if you're agency progibits Magnums. NYPS is 40,000 guys and alot of them want an off duty .38. Colt has nothing.

Rapes customers ona historical letter. At S&W the letter is the same price no matter the model. And whats tis crap about how if my gun letters to a famous person I have to pay more for the letter. Its MY gun, not Colts Lotto ticket.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Colt really doesn't get it, the customer should be King and to rip them off and make them mad does nothing to promote loyalty. S&W and Ruger do a much better job in the customer service department and like you said S&W charges a reasonable fee for research letters, not a method to rip you off. Too bad Colt isn't what it used to be.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts