Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked this up local because it’s got Colt on it.. appears to be original, box and paperwork , and I didn’t have one. And it’s in pretty nice condition- and that’s usually not a bad move with a Colt as long as everything is original.
The little magazine does say Colt on the base bottom. i Know from checking Colt VP auctions that the early Colt made guns are worthy and nice. What’s the story with this vintage ?

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
It's not a Colt 1908 Vest Pocket...it's a later .25 made under contract by Astra or FIE. I can't tell for sure but the Astra version says "Made in Spain" where the domestic product does not. They're still nice pistols though actually manufactured by Colt in Hartford.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Colt junior? Might be Astra. I don’t know the differences.

I think the Astra Cub had a yellow box that said Astra on the top.

I bought a 100% Colt Jr a few years ago for my brother. Immaculate. He shot it 10 minutes after I brought it over. He said he shoots all of his guns. I only buy him used guns now.

·
Premium Member
7,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks fellas. After reading Judge Colts thread that was linked by 824stv, I believe mine is an Automatic .25. It does not have a made in Spain rollmark. It does have Colts Hartford CT on the left slide.. and with the box label, it must not be the Junior , and it’s definitely not the Vest Pocket.. so I will change my thread title.
Nice to know what I have ! I was going by what the shop owner had it labeled as... and he apparently shoulda asked you folks. :)

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
That's a nice Junior, Terry. Looks just like mine. Now, I've gotta figure out how to take & upload pics.
It's my understanding that a "Colt Junior" in the orange looking box is the made in Spain 25ACP pistol whereas the "Colt Automatic" in the woodgrain Colt box is the non-Spain one. I maybe splitting hairs here but there is a difference for some Colt collectors.

·
Registered
154 Posts
You can also tell the difference between the Colt and Astra made ones based on the serial number. The Colt ones will start with OD while the Astra ones have a serial number and a CC suffix. Both very high quality pistols.

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Awesome little pistol. Colt did recall some:

COLT
MODEL JUNIOR COLT,
25 AUTO CALIBER, PISTOL

RECALL: It has come to our attention that some of the small pocket automatic pistols marketed by Colt in 25 ACP between 1957 and 1973 (these have serial numbers ending in CC or beginning with OD) are susceptible to accidental discharge if improperly carried with a round in the chamber and dropped or otherwise carelessly handled. This is because of the type of firing mechanism in these pistols. Some of these pistols were marked "Junior Colt/Cal. 25," others "Made in Spain for Colt," and still others " Colt Automatic/Cal. 25."
COLT WILL MODIFY THE FIRING MECHANISM OF THESE PISTOLS FREE OF CHARGE. This modification will substantially reduce the possibility of accidental discharge.
If you own one of these pistols, please notify Colt in writing (see below) but do not return the pistol at this time. You will be given further details and instructions as to when and how to ship your firearm to Colt. We will replace the firing pin and the firing pin spring, and return the gun as promptly as possible.
Please do not delay in writing to us. Meanwhile, carry your pistol only with an empty chamber. Please send a postcard or note giving your name, address and the serial number of your pistol to:
Colt Industries, Inc.
Firearms Division
P.O. Box 1868
Department RC 25
Hartford, CT 06101

Source:

• Law Enforcement Technology, December 1984; page 29

·
Registered
154 Posts
I love the little 25acp pistols and one of the Browning FN Vest Pockets or one of the Colt 1908 Vest Pockets is almost always in my pocket. Both were Browning patent pistols and Browning actually first offered it to Colt but they were not interested. When the FN model became and overwhelming sales success Colt changed their mind and worked a deal to split the world-wide market up between FN and Colt.

·
Premium Member
7,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You can also tell the difference between the Colt and Astra made ones based on the serial number. The Colt ones will start with OD while the Astra ones have a serial number and a CC suffix. Both very high quality pistols.
What I’m seeing is agreeing with what you and Lonestar are saying. This one came in a Colt box.. which like Lonestar says.. does make a difference and the serial on the box label is an OD prefix. I’ve seen some Astra’s in the box same store before and didn’t consider buying them , although maybe I should have. but when I see an out of production Colt in good shape in an original Colt box, I know that’s at least a triple , if not a home run.. unless something’s been tinkered with. That’s the risky part.

·
Registered
154 Posts
What I’m seeing is agreeing with what you and Lonestar are saying. This one came in a Colt box.. which like Lonestar says.. does make a difference and the serial on the box label is an OD prefix. I’ve seen some Astra’s in the box same store before and didn’t consider buying them , although maybe I should have. but when I see an out of production Colt in good shape in an original Colt box, I know that’s at least a triple , if not a home run.. unless something’s been tinkered with. That’s the risky part.
Remember that boxes are about the easiest thing to change so always match the serial number on the box to the gun itself. Unfortunately today there is a thriving business and market for reproduction made to order boxes.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Before you spend time feeling bad about the purchase get two boxes of ammunition and shoot the little gun. These are quite accurate, reliable, and fun t]o shoot. You will come away with a smile on your dace.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I thought, and I’m probably wrong so please educate me if I am; the Astra, Junior and Automatic all had different boxes. Isn’t the automatic the only one that had colt box?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts