Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Needing some info. What I have here is what I believe to be a legit Colt Baby Dragoon Type V.....but the interesting part is the box. The owner claims to have purchased the weapon in the early 70s. He says it is an "American Express" Colt. I know Colt made some guns for Wells Fargo and could see this being legit, but can find no info of any kind of American Express ever using a Colt Baby Dragoon. The box is period correct and does have the American Express logo. So, anyone here that has knowledge of this or that can point me in the right direction for some info please let me know. I have not purchased yet so if you have reason to think its fake you wont hurt my feelings and I would love to know.

·
Registered
10,005 Posts
I think that if you'll research 'American Express' - even using Wikipedia - you'll soon find that they operated in New York and its environs.

They never saw 'Indian Territory', and cases for those little short-barrelled Colts are correspondingly smaller, and commensurate with the size of the weapon.

To 'me' - it's one of the many, many European fakes that washed ashore in the 1960's.

Incidentally - American Express' early logo was an Eagle - not a Mountain Lion.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I would not buy that with your money. UNLESS you can get it at a very cheap price for decoration. It's either a reproduction or a foreign copy/infringement.

John Gross

Reactions: skwcoltguy

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
The Box is not 'Period Correct' for the 1850s, nor is it for the Revolver shown.

The Box is for a larger size - or at least a longer Barreled - and likely a differently shaped Revolver.

If you can post some close-ups of the Lid, the Box Bottom, the Hinges and Lock ( front, and top of the Lock itself ) I could probably give some opinion on when the Box was made.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
I do not recall Colt using any Brass Frames for their Percussion Revolvers.

Possibly this is an unauthorized copy dating to the 1960s, or is an older 19th Century Belgian copy.

Possibly the Revolver had a longer Barrel at one time, which was then shortened.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Colt never made a brass framed revolver-ever, ever, ever!
It looks like someone is either ignorant about early Colts, or intends to defraud.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Brass framed revolvers were made by the Confederacy during the Civil War for ease of manufacture for one thing, and brass was more plentiful. The only other brass frames are those "replicas" now being imported and sold by various importers.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
552 Posts
Brass framed revolvers were made by the Confederacy during the Civil War for ease of manufacture for one thing, and brass was more plentiful. The only other brass frames are those "replicas" now being imported and sold by various importers.

Bob Wright
With all due respect, I do not believe any Confederate gunsmith or gun manufacturer made a .31 cal. pocket revolver during the War of Northern Aggression....at least I do not recall ever reading about one in the past 50+ years, and I have a good memory.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts