Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A couple years ago Jim Martin gave me an unmarked .44 Spl. barrel. A couple years before that I bought a 5 1/2" 1900 Bisley .32-20 with a bulged barrel. And a decade before that I got a pre war .44 Special cylinder from Eddie Janis. Last week I took the gun and barrel to Woodland, CA. gunsmith Craig Maraviov who rebarreled the gun for me. He said it would take 2 weeks but took 6 days. I can't wait to shoot this one. Pictured here with my 1958 .44 Special which it matches well.

·
Registered
961 Posts
THE perfect caliber and best looking barrel length for the Bisley...need range report ASAP!

Forgot to say, what a great looking pair!

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
All those Colts look great, but I am very impressed with the last Bisley, It just looks superb with the 7 1/2" barrel! I don't need another Bisley, but if one came along at a decent price AND has the 7 1/2" Barrel, I sure would have to consider it, LOL.

·
Registered
9,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice looking Bisley. What's the serial#? Any concerns about frame stretch?
This Bisley is serial #1931XX, made in 1900. I rechecked dates on when Colt said smokeless was OK and they seem to vary. If correct my gun seems OK, but others might have better info saying it's a little too early for smokeless. My standard .44 Special load is 240 or 215 grain bullet over 6.4 grains Unique. It seems pretty laid back. That's all that'll get shot in this gun.

·
Premium Member
20,523 Posts
That is a nice looking pair of Colts. If you have a 44WCF cylinder in one of your other SAA's, I guess you will be able to use that to fire 44WCF's in the Bisley (assuming the cylinder fits).

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
Damn nice guns, worked on by very very good people, but you need a better grade of beer. :D

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
This Bisley is serial #1931XX, made in 1900. I rechecked dates on when Colt said smokeless was OK and they seem to vary. If correct my gun seems OK, but others might have better info saying it's a little too early for smokeless. My standard .44 Special load is 240 or 215 grain bullet over 6.4 grains Unique. It seems pretty laid back. That's all that'll get shot in this gun.
My information is that at serial 1931XX the frame would be steel. Enjoy!

·
Registered
588 Posts
I've always thought the 7.5" Bisleys looked out of proportion. They probably hang on target beautifully though. But while the 5.5" SAA has always looked odd to me, somehow it seems normal on a Bisley. Perceptions are strange things.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
I've always thought the 7.5" Bisleys looked out of proportion. They probably hang on target beautifully though. But while the 5.5" SAA has always looked odd to me, somehow it seems normal on a Bisley. Perceptions are strange things.
It is funny with gun collectors, I actually like the 7 1/2" barrel on the Bisley, it looks more "balanced" LOL! After looking at it more, I want one more now.

·
Registered
9,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm not a fan of 5 1/2" SAAs, but the Bisley is a different story. I like all barrel lengths in the Bisley but the 7 1/2" most. The long barrel seems to visually and physically balance the best for me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts