Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about purchasing a Colt Bisley 38-40 built in 1904. It is 5 (?) inches and is in about 85% shape and tight. There is some holster wear and the grips show normal wear. The blue and case hardining are in good shape. I think it is a good deal at 1k. Can anyone give me guidance???

Thnaks from a new SAA collector

Cheers,

Kip

[This message has been edited by Kip (edited 04-09-2004).]

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I think it is a good deal also Kip.Without seeing the gun,cant be sure though. Factory barrels were either 4 3/4 or 5 1/2(and 7 1/2"). How are markings on the gun? Is the lettering sharp? If it is "rounded or faint,could be a sign of an old over polishing & a re blue job.If there is a "&" mark,usually near the trigger guard,it has been repaired and/or refinished by Colt. You did not say the condition of the bore;that is vital if you plan on shooting it. The newer "Cowboy Action Loads" have opened up a new life for these older Colts for owners who dont handload. To me,any SAA,or Bisley,and 2nd generation SAA that you can get for under $1000 these days is a catch,unless it is some horribly pitted,mismatched,or cobbled up product of a "kitchen table" gunsmithing job. I have a very late Bisley,that was factory refinished,in 38/40 & 4 3/4 barrel that is a superb shooter,but the little amperstand "&" mark that Colt put on it at the 1962 refinishing,lowers its serious collector value. Good Luck (and a good catch,I think and hope). Bud

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bud,
Yes it is 5 1/2 inch barrel. It looks in good shape, but I am suspect that it has been refinished and has a new hmmer as it is flat black and has little wear on the top.

The bore is leaded but looks ok. The man that used to own this gun shot it at cowboy evernts here in the HOuston area.

Where should I look for s/n on the gun? I do see one on the but and the two on the underside ot the gun, but thats it...

Is there a guide to help the likes of me?

All and all I think that I am with you; If you can pick up a 100 year old colt that is not a mess for 1k its a good deal.

Thanks again for your reply Bud.

Cheers,

Kip

1 - 3 of 3 Posts