Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Colt still makes the famous Single Action Army.

Now I was wondering if Colt still produces a SAA black powder percussion revolver. Or is this part of the market overrun by Copycats like HEGE-Uberti, Pietta etc.?

·
Registered
144 Posts
There are still plenty of like new Colt blackpowder revolvers available on GunBroker and GunsAmerica. Try to find a second generation gun, not the newer Signature Series. Although there are several versions of the story, the consensus seems to be that 2nd Gen. guns were fit, finished and assembled in Hartford by Colt from imported Italian parts. The 3rd Gen., or Signature Series, were built under license from Colt by the same folks who make the new Henry brand rifles, also from imported parts.

My unfired 2nd Gen. 1851 Navy in factory case with all Colt-marked accessories.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,677 Posts
The "Who built 'em" story is sort of murky.

Most sources say that Colt imported the "second" issue parts from Uberti of Italy, and had them finished and assembled by Iver Johnson.
Others say Colt did it in-house.

The "third" generation versions made in the 1980's were made by Uberti and imported, assembled and finished by John Jovino of Brooklyn New York under license from Colt.

·
Registered
144 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
The "Who built 'em" story is sort of murky.

Most sources say that Colt imported the "second" issue parts from Uberti of Italy, and had them finished and assembled by Iver Johnson.
Others say Colt did it in-house.

The "third" generation versions made in the 1980's were made by Uberti and imported, assembled and finished by John Jovino of Brooklyn New York under license from Colt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Louis Imperato is chairman of John Jovino Inc. He and his son Anthony own Henry Repeating Arms. They also owned Iver Johnson at one time. Tony told me the 2nd Gen. guns were assembled and finished by Colt and confirmed that Colt Blackpowder Arms, who did the 3rd Gen. Signature Series, was a subsidiary of his company. Iver Johnson, Henry and Colt Blackpowder were all under the same roof, leading to the confusion as to who did what and when. FWIW, I believe it was Val Fogrett (sp?) who imported the parts for Colt for the 2nd Gen. guns.

A lot of Colt purists don't consider them "real" Colts, but heck, Colt used subcontractors to supply parts, and even entire guns, starting with the Patterson Colts, so I don't see the difference as long as the quality is up to Colt's standards. The bluing on my 2nd Gen. 1851 Navy is as good a finish as I've ever seen on any gun. The colors in the case hardened frame are beautiful, and the gun locks up like a bank vault. I don't see how they could have been better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts