Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched the forum and found one thread about the Colt BOA:

Only 1200 made - 600 4 inch and 600 6 inch

Apparently made specifically for Lew Horton in 1985.

My question is what exactly was the BOA, i.e. caliber, frame size, design, etc.?

I just saw one that was "Sold Pending FUNDS" for $1750.00, but there was no description except that it is very rare.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
The BOA was a special MK. V that Colt built for Lew Horton Distributors in Mass.Horton's has had both Colt and S&W make up "special runs" for them. I've only seen 1 BOA,well actually the matched set of 2,the 4" and the 6". There were 600 of each bbl. length made up. The dealer who owned the 2 that I saw,called em "the poor mans Python",since both of us don't like the action as much as the Python,and you could generally buy one in the late '80s,for less than a new Python. The BOA was built on the totally different MkIII and MkV frame & action(coil mainspring,transfer bar etc.)that required far less hand fitting than the "old style"Colt "I" frame & leaf spring that the Python and all pre 1969 Colt D.A.s had). What makes the BOA so special is that it has the ejector rod lug FULL length under the barrel like the Python,and the magnificent "Royal Blue" finish,also like the Python.The were priced at around $600 each(but in 1987,I couldve bought the set for $900 NIB).So,they've certainly gone up in price,to surpass the Python,with the ONE you saw go for $1750! It is their scarcity,and the "snake collectors"among the Colt collecting fraternity,that have skyrocketed their prices. Hope this helps. Bud

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information. I don't want one. Just wanted to know. I'm happy with Pythons and Diamondbacks. I think they are the best out of all the Colt DA's.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Yeh but Dog, look at that killer wood box you get with them. You could probably take off a Hunerd or so just for the box....LOL

Jeff (NOT that GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Can someone loan me about 3 grand? If en I had more buck than sense...I would put those in my safe. I sure wish I had been born rich, instead of good lookin.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
If'n yoo wuz borned rich and didn't be az good lookin' az you iz, Why wood you poot dem pritty gunz in yur safe ?
Why wooden ya jus shoot 'em ?
Then agin, if you was rich an reely bad lookin, maybe sum won wood shoot you wit dem pritty gunz.
Then I'd be reelee skeered if I wuz yoo.
I think you'd be better off bein' jus pritty insted.

Jeff (Sumtimes jus Kwazy)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts