Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You already know I like your gun Blokey!

But this is a much better series of photo's than in the past. I believe I also have the same addendum in with my paperwork. I'll have to go digging around and see if I can find it.

I also really like your wood stocks. Nice dark rich color. With all the talk about Diamondbacks, Vipers and Pythons, this unusual snake really makes the others seem common.

I don't want to butt in on your post but, maybe you could invite the other Boa owners to post their pics. If you recall I have the little brother to yours.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Absolutely WS23 and others, post some pics!

I noticed some new members who are unfamiliar with the Boa asking about its existance so I decided to search the attic for the box, etc. and post some pics.
I opened up the blinds and switched on all the lights to get brighter pics than before.

I noticed my stocks are darker than the stocks on the few other Boas I've seen; they have an almost burl walnut look to them (slightly visible in the 5th pic by the trigger guard).

If'n when I complete my snake collection, I'll post a pic of the whole reptile house.

Thanks for the reply!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Blokey, that is sweet! I think you have all of the bases covered as far as extras go too. Congratulations, and I look forward to a set of pictures of the whole collection.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Looks like this snake is in good hands. Maybe you should see if Colt will still send you a letter at no charge - that would complete the package...

·
Registered
88 Posts
very nice
i see a 83 on the box is that what year it is?
what years or year did they custom make them
how many do you think are out there .
that one paper says it is like all v frames but has a full lug so i will take a shot in the dark and say they were made 82 to 85 before the king cobra

thanks for sharing it with us it is sweet.

·
Registered
689 Posts
You Creep... You brought back haunting menories of how the girls teased me back in High School because they were so pretty and unavailable...

Really, good for you, they are rare and much sought after (like Farra was in my day)... Yet Bozo's such as myself will not be content until we own one...

·
Registered
711 Posts
Thanks you guys, you're awesome!!

vdm: I don't know what the "83" is but it's not the year it was made; they were only made in 1986. 600 were made in each of two bbl lengths, 4" and 6".

Bushwhacker: When I saw the card in the box today I was thinking of maybe taking them up on the free letter, sending in the card (rev: 3/81) with an 8¢ stamp on it (or whatever it cost to send a postcard in '86)!!

[This message has been edited by Blokey (edited 03-27-2005).]

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bad Shot, the hand written 83 is not the year of the gun. But your guess is pretty good. The Boa was produced in 1985.

Look here Blokey, since you posted these pretty pictures you might as well get to typing, and give the written run down on this particular model.

There is enough interest, curiosity, and relatively new folks that have not heard much about the infamous Boa.

·
Registered
711 Posts
WS23,

You're absolutely right 1985 not 1986 (it's getting past my beddy-bys time!!)

lonewolf wrote a pretty detailed history in a old thread in reply to manderson that I'll quote:

manderson: "Searched the forum and found one thread about the Colt BOA:
Only 1200 made - 600 4 inch and 600 6 inch

Apparently made specifically for Lew Horton in 1985.

My question is what exactly was the BOA, i.e. caliber, frame size, design, etc.?..."

lonewolf: "The BOA was a special MK. V that Colt built for Lew Horton Distributors in Mass. Horton's has had both Colt and S&W make up "special runs" for them. I've only seen 1 BOA, well actually the matched set of 2,the 4" and the 6". There were 600 of each bbl. length made up. The dealer who owned the 2 that I saw,called em "the poor mans Python", since both of us don't like the action as much as the Python, and you could generally buy one in the late '80s, for less than a new Python. The BOA was built on the totally different MkIII and MkV frame & action (coil mainspring,transfer bar etc.)that required far less hand fitting than the "old style"Colt "I" frame & leaf spring that the Python and all pre 1969 Colt D.A.s had). What makes the BOA so special is that it has the ejector rod lug FULL length under the barrel like the Python,and the magnificent "Royal Blue" finish, also like the Python. They were priced at around $600 each (but in 1987,I couldve bought the set for $900 NIB). So,they've certainly gone up in price, to surpass the Python, with the ONE you saw go for $1750! It is their scarcity, and the "snake collectors" among the Colt collecting fraternity, that have skyrocketed their prices. Hope this helps. Bud"

[This message has been edited by Blokey (edited 03-27-2005).]

·
Registered
711 Posts
Every so often, someone asks about the Colt Boa. Well today, I pulled my specimen out of the safe and found its box in the attic to take some pics.

Here we go:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts