Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a picture off an auction site for a Colt Border Patrol version of the Trooper Mark III.

Anyone see anything "odd" about it, and would you care to guess HOW in the world it got that way?

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
Well, the stocks don't look like typical Trooper MkIII, but I don't know what was offered on BPs. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Registered
991 Posts
I'd like to get a little closer look at the barrel stamping. From the picture, it doesn't even look legible. I'm guessing something about the finish on this, but I'm not familiar enough with the Border Patrol.

BTW... Great to have you back. You are sorely missed when away for too long.

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
It says Colt Border Patrol. Or, is the trigger guard a little squared off or is that an optical illusion?

[ QUOTE ]
Great to have you back. You are sorely missed when away for too long.

[/ QUOTE ]
+1 and no more guesses. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
185 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
H
Anyone see anything "odd" about it, and would you care to guess HOW in the world it got that way?

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends......is it a Canadian Border or Mexican Border model? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
those stocks are I frame from a mid range python, dont know how they got them on a j-frame gun.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's what I was getting at, but I wasn't confident enough to identify them. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
991 Posts
Okay, I found it, and I can read the barrel stamping. Looks pretty crisp, so not a finish issue except it's scratched up pretty bad in spots. I sure can't tell what's wrong.

·
Banned
1,130 Posts
i am going to guess, please keep in mind i dont own or have never owned any colt revolver post 69. looking at the gpc cat. it would appear the frame is king cobra as it has a pinned recoil plate and i dont find that part on the mk111.

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
But it appears that there is - look at some MkIIIs on auction and Numrich part 205500E. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

·
Banned
1,130 Posts
you are correct, just looked on guns america. they both have a pinned plate.i didn`t see it in the gpc exploded view.i dont know except i know the grips are python and the inletting aint even close to a j-frame grip.

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
It does seem to actually be a J frame - note the longer sideplate vs. the E/I. I think it's just the stocks, but what do I know? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Somebody must have done a lot of Dremeling /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, sorry I was gone.
We got a real "deal" last month on DSL service through SBC and changed from cable.

Apparently, SBC got an order to cut off SOMEONE'S service and cut OUR phone and DSL after transposing a number.

They got out phone back in a couple of hours, but for some bogus reason, couldn't turn the DSL on until today.

We were cut off on the 18th.

My wife was turning all kinds of shades of red and purple at this poor service.

But the service IS about 1/2 that of cable.

The Border Patrol/Trooper Mark III "oddity":

It's fitted with a pair of Second Type PYTHON/TROOPER grips.

I can only guess that some one ripped the insides out and some how managed to half-ass-ed fit the Python grips to a Trooper Mark III "J" frame.

To see just how much would have been needed to do this chop-job, here's the inside of a pair of Python grips and a pair of Mark III grips.

Note how the Python has a rounded upper inlet to fit the Python frame, and the Mark III has a straight cut.

Needless to say, this is about as Mickey Mouse a fit-up as I've seen in years.
Someone had a lot of time on their hands, and decided to amuse themselves by ruining a pair of expensive Python grips.

I'm betting there are more gaps and plastic wood here than on a cheap zip gun

1 - 14 of 14 Posts