Colt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to pick up a Border Patrol, .357, 4 inch, SS, rubber grips for $600. Have not seen in person to verify condition. Did some searching but did not see any current sales. Is $600 good, high average?

Thanks for any help

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,544 Posts
The Colt Second Model Border Patrol is nothing more then the Colt Trooper Mark III with the Border Patrol barrel stamp and a lesser polished finish, at least in the blued version.
Colt made these for both the US Border Patrol and commercial sales.
Official Border Patrol guns will be hand stamped on the right side of the frame above the trigger with Border Patrol markings and issue numbers.
They didn't make this model in stainless steel so it is either bright nickel or an after market finish.

If it's a bright nickel, Colt only made 1,152 of them, so it's a somewhat rare Colt. DEPENDING ON THE CONDITION, I'd call that an excellent price.

If the finish or grips are not original value would be much lower. I'm not sure what grips the nickel versions shipped with, I "thought" they were walnut Target grips as used on the blued versions.
If the rubber grips are original they'd have Gold Colt medallions.

·
Premium Member
3,579 Posts
As the MVP said its either Nickel, Blue, or aftermarket finish. I saw an original finish Nickel MKIII Border Patrol in 96-98%, no box, about 2 years ago at a gunshow on a table for $1200. I could have got the gun for probably 1000 cash maybe as low as 900 since I know the guy really well, and know how he operates-he likes $100 bills. I have no idea what they bring (didnt back then either lol) but if its original nickel, that would have to be an excellent price imo. Its a gun I never followed, but they are very seldom seen.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.