Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy Thanksgiving folks. Was just perusing the website of a local auction company and saw a listing for a Colt Border Patrol, .357 Magnum, Hartford Conn.

Can anyone tell me something about the history of this model and maybe a value? TIA

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Richard;this is the 2nd issue of a Colt by the name "Border Patrol"(the first was a very heavy 4" bbl. Official Police,/38 Special,that was issued to the Border patrol in 1952--they are very rare-and priced as such!)

The "2nd issue",was made on the regular MK.III Trooper 4" gun,and in .357 Magnum. According to the Blue Book,1.152 were made in nickle,and 5,356 in a less than polished blue in 1970-75: For all purposes,they are a standard Mk III Trooper with a different barrel roll marking-BUT that makes them rarer & more expensive.

The issue stocks were the wood ones,not the Pachmayr "condoms".

These guns were sold to the public,unlike the 1st issue,that went to the Border Patrol.

Price?? I'll leave that to those who have more time than I do to peruse the internet auctions-BUT,I bought a nickled one in June for $450 OTD. It is well finished and a splendid shooter.

Bud

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. It's interesting that this has an association with the Trooper MKIII. My first handgun, first revolver and first Colt was a Trooper MKIII bought new in 1978. It's been gone a long time now. Something like this BP might be nice to have. What are the correct grips going for?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
The correct wood stocks,as shown in the search for an earlier post,should run around $35-75,at least on "fleabay".

They are NOT in the overinflated prices being paid by some bidders for Python stocks.

Bud

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What do I look for regarding the stocks? I mean will they be stocks for a Trooper MKIII, Lawman, etc? What stocks will fit?

·
Registered
759 Posts
You want to find stocks for a "J-Frame" revolver. That was Colt's designation for all the MkIII guns. Make sure you get Colt J frame, and not S&W, which also has a J frame, but is completely different.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone. Guess I'll see what the BP goes for next Saturday and bring it home if it looks good and the price is OK. I've only got one other Colt wheelgun in the collection and it's a 4" Marshal. A Marshal and a Border Patrol. That's probably not a bad pair to have.

·
Registered
959 Posts
A side note here. Back in the late 1970s I knew an Alabama State Trooper that carried a Mk III Border Patrol revolver. It was issued to him by the Alabama Dept of Public Safety (DPS), the parent agency.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts