Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched the archives but only found one thread about Colt boxes and it was from 2008. It also dealt with the old cardboard boxes from the 40's and 50's. The information I'm seeking is about the newer boxes and plastic cases. What were the dates Colt used the fitted Styrofoam inside a cardboard sleeve box? When did the switch to the Formed plastic case inside a cardboard sleeve, and how long was it used? When did they switch to the egg crate foam lined box like they use now? Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As far as I can tell, by checking my own Colts and pictures on gun broker, the hard plastic formed interior case came out in 1991 with the introduction of the model 1991a1, but were still being used on some models up to about 1996, when the first foam interior plastic boxes came out. Still trying to figure out the dates of the Styrofoam block box and slip case.

·
Premium Member
4,644 Posts
The Colt styrofoam shipping cartons (boxes) with the brown wood grain cardboard sleeves started in 1973-74. At first the styrofoam was tan but was changed to white after a year or two. The first cardboard sleeves had a rough texture and were a little pinkish in color.
By 1975, the styrofoam was white and the sleeves were smooth brown wood grain. This type of shipping container was used until 1986 when the color of the sleeve was changed to maroon and had the 150th anniversary graphics (styrofoam was still white). The 150th anniversary graphics were dropped after 1986 but the colors remained the same. At some later date, Colt made the change to the plastic boxes. I don't know when this occurred because my interest is primarily in the older guns.

- - - - Buckspen

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
Here's the early tan box w/tan interior mentioned above. Not seen too often. This came from an early Lawman Mk III 2" according to label which is not the gold foil but the smaller yellow label. Wish I had the gun. Anyone have the Lawman MkIII s/n 6421J.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
THANKS guys! This is the kind info I was looking for. As I said before, in 1991 with the introduction of the 1991A1 the formed plastic box was used. The first ones were brown and only used for 1 year, I think. Then switched to blue and used through 1996 when both the formed inside and the foam interior were used. Great info! Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
I was very lucky to get a 1993 plastic box with D Frame manual and welcome to the Colt Family letter from a guy on Ebay for a reasonable price.I will use it if I have to ship any of my D Frames to Colt for work.I also was given a Detective Special Cardboard box fro the 70's by one of my FFL Friends as a example of same.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.