Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One gun show weekend, a bunch of years ago, I had a 'perceived need' to possess a replica 1851 Navy Colt (maybe a Navy Arms) so I had my eyes peeled. (Of course, I got myself side-tracked by something bright and shiny, so my Saturday search only registered that there was a guy with a few percussion pistols on his table, and that was all.)

I went back on Sunday, though, and looked over his wares - spying a pretty piece that seemed to have a blued steel backstrap, but the thing was that the wood seemed 'orange', and that triggered a bell.

I asked his price, while I looked it over more closely, and noticed the 'Colt's Patent' markings, and matching serial numbers, but that wasn't a big thing - as many of the replicas bore similar markings, but the wood still had that little bell ringing, and it was saying that I'd better do some negotiating.

So I did - and $150 cash later, it was mine...

As I turned away, the guy said "It's got the box - want it?" - and that's when I saw that it was the tan Colt box - 'with' the sleeve, the wrap and brochure and 'Blackpowder' pin, to boot.

I thanked him profusely...

About 20 minutes later, he came up behind me and gave me the fitted Colt presentation box, with accessories!

I asked his price, but it was free (apparently, and I was the only guy who looked at his table, 'and' bought something from him, so he was pleased with me).

The 'blued backstrap' turned out to be oxidized silver plating, and cleaned right off, and the 'orange' grips were what Colt used when the little Navy was built between '72 and '73...

Over time, I've learned to appreciate my sense of 'perceived need' - it's paid off in so many ways.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
lucky guy!
back around clinton's early years in Washington I started collecting colt black powders because I figured they would be legal to own longer than cartridge arms. I was buying up every decent one I could find and I never found one at such a great price or ever found such a generous seller.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.