Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I have been wanting a Colt in .38 Super for a while now and I am planning to have my LGS order me one very soon. I already have a Government XSE and 1991 Commander in blue so I was going to try to get my hands on one in stainless. While perusing the Colt website I discovered this 1991 model in Bright Stainless which I have somehow overlooked up until now. I love the look of Nickel plated guns and this appears to be quite similar, so I would really like to get one of these. My question though, is how careful do I need to be with this type of finish? How easy will the Bright Stainless scratch? This gun will not be carried so no worries about holster wear. Would a coating of Renaissance wax on the exterior help at all to prevent marking up the finish? I tend to get pretty OCD about keeping my guns looking good for as long as possible. Thanks for any assistance you guys can provide, it is always greatly appreciated. Here is a picture of the gun in question.

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
I have one and it started developing scratches quite rapidly. I do not mind though because I holster mine and carry it all over the place.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have not seen a wax that can prevent scuffs and light abraissions.
"MAAS" is a great polish ( jewelry grade)
"SIMICHROME" is also a quality product.
''Wenol" made in Germany, is one of the best , as it can turn aluminum & stainless from frosty haze , to a high chrome-like luster.
All these are to restore the mirror - shine ; after the inevitability, of use.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Ive always liked the look of the bright stainless. I cant stand flaking nickel for some reason, so the bright stainless holds special appeal to me.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
You can polish the bright stainless to return it to it lustrous finish without worrying about doing any damage. You have to be careful with bright nickel about going through the finish.
+1 for Wenol

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Stainless is a lot more forgiving than nickel when attempting to remove or lighten scratches in the finish. I use Flitz gently and sparingly. Nickel has a copper undercoat so you certainly don't want to get heavy handed when polishing. I've found that microfiber cloths that one can buy in bulk from auto supply stores or places like Dollar General work very well as do old white cotton socks. The bulk microfiber are cheap enough that I don't even mess with washing them once I've gunked em up but rather toss the old one and grab another.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I think that bright stainless is far more forgiving than any nickel plated gun, and obviously Colt agrees as they replaced their nickel Pythons with bright stainless.I also have found that the hard plastic holsters like Blackhawks do not scratch the BSS guns. If they do get scratches it is very easy to buff them out though with care and hard plastic holsters that has never been a problem. IMO Wilson shock buffers should be used even on a SD gun but changed every 500 rounds.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I fell really hard for the Colt .38 Super in Bright Stainless with the 100 Years of Service roll mark for 1911-2011. I saw it at the SHOT Show and had to have one. Tracked one down and paid full retail $1250 for it. I absolutely love it! I shot the daylights out of it too and it's a mighty fine shooter. Dead on at 15 yards with terrific sights (the only thing on the gun that isn't polished stainless).

My grandfather had a set of mother-of-pearl handles he never put on a gun, then my dad had them and never put them on a gun, and now I have them. I put them on this Colt and they look very handsome to my eyes! I swap them out with the factory grips when I shoot the gun.

It goes to the range in a zippered case, gets shot, then gets cleaned. It looks as good as the day I got it. Concealed carry in a kydex holster with the grip banging around on chairs and seatbelts and stuff would probably cause some dings and scratches. But if you're relatively careful, it will be a great shooter and look awesome doing its job.

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
mm6, that is one of the few guns that look good with MOP grips that I have ever seen. Maybe look into some fakes for when you shoot it? Patton would be proud lol

·
Registered
99 Posts
I fell really hard for the Colt .38 Super in Bright Stainless with the 100 Years of Service roll mark for 1911-2011. I saw it at the SHOT Show and had to have one. Tracked one down and paid full retail $1250 for it. I absolutely love it! I shot the daylights out of it too and it's a mighty fine shooter. Dead on at 15 yards with terrific sights (the only thing on the gun that isn't polished stainless).

My grandfather had a set of mother-of-pearl handles he never put on a gun, then my dad had them and never put them on a gun, and now I have them. I put them on this Colt and they look very handsome to my eyes! I swap them out with the factory grips when I shoot the gun.

It goes to the range in a zippered case, gets shot, then gets cleaned. It looks as good as the day I got it. Concealed carry in a kydex holster with the grip banging around on chairs and seatbelts and stuff would probably cause some dings and scratches. But if you're relatively careful, it will be a great shooter and look awesome doing its job.

Man, that's the ticket! I would love to find a BSS model laying around my LGS someday...
I recently sold my 1957 4th issue GM, polished nickel, Super 38 that was like new.
I'm now looking for a BSS so I can shoot it.

That is a beauty, especially with those real pearls. You're a lucky guy to have
obtained those from your Grandad, and Dad. I don't care what Patton thought about MOP.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Hi guys. I have been wanting a Colt in .38 Super for a while now and I am planning to have my LGS order me one very soon. I already have a Government XSE and 1991 Commander in blue so I was going to try to get my hands on one in stainless. While perusing the Colt website I discovered this 1991 model in Bright Stainless which I have somehow overlooked up until now. I love the look of Nickel plated guns and this appears to be quite similar, so I would really like to get one of these. My question though, is how careful do I need to be with this type of finish? How easy will the Bright Stainless scratch? This gun will not be carried so no worries about holster wear. Would a coating of Renaissance wax on the exterior help at all to prevent marking up the finish? I tend to get pretty OCD about keeping my guns looking good for as long as possible. Thanks for any assistance you guys can provide, it is always greatly appreciated. Here is a picture of the gun in question.
Well any highly polished metal surface is going to show use - except Titanium judging by my years-old Medic Alert Bracelet which still looks new - but after scratches build up in Polished Stainless for a time (two/three years of use) just send it back to Colt and have it re-polished. Pretty sure you can do this. Call and ask to make sure - give you peace of mind. Nickel is different, thin finish, can't re-polish much there and it picks up thin scratches pretty easy in my experience with my Python. Course I don't know the price of each - you should put that on your post. So I have to answer the question as if they were both about the same in value. Here's mine with some years of use on it so you can see wear. Not bad. (Please Don't tell me how it looks great, I'll scream - it's unshootable after I had it but for a month or so, used purchase. There's a thread with info on it up.)

·
Registered
777 Posts
Mother of Pearl grips should not be used to fire the gun as they are very fragile and should be used for looks only. I would get some hex grip screws and change off to a faux M.O.P. grips. I am now going to list a pair I have for sale

·
Registered
615 Posts
One of these days, I'm going to shoot a pistol with genuine mother of pearl handles and see what happens. They're made from seashells. Have you ever tried to break a seashell? Dang those things are hard. For a project I once tried drilling through a seashell. Busted a drill bit! Colt Single Actions often had pearl handles (with steer heads' eyes filled with rubies!) and the grips only cracked when the gun was dropped, not from recoil.

Pearl and ivory are a couple of the hardest natural materials around. They have to be to withstand their duties on the animals they started life with. I've fired two Colt SAAs with factory ivory handles extensively and they're fine.

I think pearl would stand up well.

I'm just not willing to try it with grandpa's pearls....

·
Registered
777 Posts
Mother of Pearl is very strong but also very brittle. It is built up in layers and while drilling horizontally through the layers is difficult, the layers can and do separate more easily which is why they suggest you do not use them for shooting. Ivory is more uniformly strong and I believe they can more safely be fired on the handgun.

Concrete is very strong in compression but you would not want a concrete diving board ( very weak in tension) for the same reason you do not want to fire a gun with Mother of Pearl grips.

I am not saying you can not use Mother of Pearl grips successfully. It is a gamble that I would not want to risk given the cost of m.o.p. My BSS Gold Cup that came with m.o.p. grips did fine but it was also not shot a lot.

Good luck with the gamble.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I saw a Bright Stainless Colt Custom GM .38 Super in a LGS case in Tupelo for $1349.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts