Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking at a hinged dark brown pebble-grained (not wood-grain) Colt Official Police box from 1950. It has the word Colt on the top in gold letters and it is cream colored inside, not green. There is no serial number anywhere on the box, although the box and label are genuine. The gold label has a black fine-line border and has "COLT" in box letters, ".38 Special", "Official Police Revolver" and "4 Inch" printed on it. Did Colt ship this style of box without the serial number marked on it? I don't have a photo to post, sorry.

·
Premium Member
4,495 Posts
Yes, Colt did use this type of box for several types of handguns in the late 1940's and early 1950's. Usually, serial numbers were written on the outside bottom in white. I think the marking was done in white "china marker", a type of wax marker. Whatever it was, it was not very permanent. I've seen many of these boxes where the serial numbers were so faded as to be unreadable and some where the numbers were just gone. You might also have a box that was never marked. That happened, too.

- - - -Buckspen

·
Premium Member
9,737 Posts
I hate to disagree with my friend Buckspen, but I have a couple of these early dark-brown, pebble-grain boxes that have serial numbers written in red/orange grease pencil, and it is very difficult to see a number on the brown surface after decades of handling. I have others with white grease pencil serial numbers that are still easily readable, and one with black grease pencil numbers, also difficult to see on the brown surface.

·
Premium Member
4,495 Posts
Ah, Judge, you got me this time. I had forgotten about these boxes marked with the red/orange grease pencil. I remembered that I had some boxes where the numbers had all but disappeared and also remembered that some were marked in white. I failed to think it completely through. Thanks for setting the record straight on this one.

- - - Buckspen

·
Premium Member
9,737 Posts
What years did Colt use the yellow, almost foil looking end label?
I am aware of yellow labels beginning in about 1953-1954 and [gold] foil labels on the Styrofoam-insert boxes beginning in the early 1970s, but no "yellow, almost foil-looking" labels. There are the "dirty gold" end labels from the late 1940s and early 1950s, but they are neither yellow or foil-looking to my eye. Could those be the labels to which you refer?

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
I found pics of the box you asked me about and it did have a serial number written on the bottom.

Malysh owns it now so I'm not sure I should post it without his permission first.
Sure you can post them :)

The box I got from Rick was 210 serial numbers higher than my DS. One neat thing was there was a generic old receipt in it that says "sold to a Govt. Officer". I think it's dated 1953.
And, Rick was kind enough to price it modestly so it paid for me to get it even though it's not the original box for my gun.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I am aware of yellow labels beginning in about 1953-1954 and [gold] foil labels on the Styrofoam-insert boxes beginning in the early 1970s, but no "yellow, almost foil-looking" labels. There are the "dirty gold" end labels from the late 1940s and early 1950s, but they are neither yellow or foil-looking to my eye. Could those be the labels to which you refer?
Yes, I think the one I saw recently was a "dirty gold" end label, and perhaps I am remembering the "foil" aspect of it wrong. So the dirty gold ones were late 40's and early 50's?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts