Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm the type of person that has to have references for every gun I own if possible. Well, yesterday this book arrived all the way from France. 'The Colt-Burgess magazine Rifle' by Samuel Maxwell. I haven't dived into it yet, but from browsing it looks to be chocked full of good info. BTW if anyone cares about my Burgess rifle, the serial is # 331x, typical (hairline) crack in forearm, but overall a nice one. Click to enlarge....

Gun Text Material property Paper Text Font Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Starting pistol Text Document Font Paper Paper product Gun Firearm Trigger Revolver Air gun

·
Premium Member
Collect older handguns from Colt and S&W primarily
430 Posts
I was never privileged to shoot an original Colt Burgess, but I got to test one of the Italian replicas for GUNS OF THE OLD WEST magazine a couple of years ago. It shot great and ended up in the battery of one of my fellow NCOWS (Nat'l Congress of Old West Shootists) shooters who is a member of our club, the Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
That's pretty cool. It would be great to have all the accoutremental materials for every gun we own; seems like you have a terrific start on most of us!

Would that rifle be something that John King Fisher could have carried?

·
Premium Member
4,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Would that rifle be something that John King Fisher could have carried?
Could have, but I doubt it. Fisher and Ben Thompson were killed in San Antonio on March 11, 1884, Burgess production started in '83.

Andrew Burgess started out working for Matthew Brady taking Civil War photos. He held many firearms patents including the Whitney-Kennedy and the Marlin. Shown below is the Burgess with an early W-K, both .44-40..click to enlarge....

Gun Air gun Wood Shotgun Gun barrel

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Chaffee,

May I suggest Sam Maxwell's companion book, Lever Action Magazine Rifles.

It covers all the Burgess patent LA rifles, the Burgess, Whitney, Kennedy, Marlin, etc. Also info on the U.S. Government Trials of 1878 for a magazine rifle, which shows why the military retained the single shot Trapdoor for so long :)

John Gross

·
Premium Member
4,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks John. For a minute I thought I might have that book, as the title sounded familiar, but it was Olson's book 'The Burgess Long Range Repeating Rifle Model 1878', which covers Burgess' own model 1872, Kennedy's, Whitney Scharf, etc. I just found a couple copies of Maxwell's 'Lever Action...' book, but like the one I just got, it's not cheap....

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have that book. Found it at a gun show for next to nothing. I still am looking for a Burgess rifle to go with it.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Thanks to Chaffee's post for reminding me I didn't have this book to go with my colts. I was able to find one and am enjoying reading it. At the risk of making this a Burgess appreciation thread I'm posting a couple of pictures of my rifle and well worn carbine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.