Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've have a Colt Cadet that is engraved "First Edition" on the right side of the barrell with a low serial number (less than 100), pistol is NIB with (2) magazines. Can anyone tell me about this pistol and approximate value? Thanks.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,889 Posts
The Colt Cadet was the last .22 auto series Colt made.

After Colt discontinued the last of the Woodsman series in 1977, the only 22 autos they made were variations on the Colt Ace and Conversion unit that were based on the 1911 .45 auto.

In 1994 Colt finally brought out a replacement for the Woodsman series in a stainless steel, named the "Cadet".

In 1995, Colt renamed the gun as the "Colt 22".
Apparently, there was a problem with the Cadet name already being copyrighted by someone else, so Colt made the change.

Besides the "Cadet" and "Colt 22", Colt also made a "Colt 22 Target" with a full length rib and an adjustable sight with a 6" barrel.

In the late 1990's Colt discontinued the "Colt 22" series along with many of their other guns.

A standard "Cadet" marked gun would be worth about $250.00 New in the box.

A "First Edition", especially with a low serial, NIB, AND being made only one year, would likely have fair collector interest.

In cases like this, you simply can't assign a value.
You would either have to have it appraised by a Colt expert, or put it up for bids.

I don't think the value would be extremely high right now, but in coming years it very probably will.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Can't add much to the previous history lesson, other than a tidbit about the name change, and a price opinion. Colt ran into problems with using the "Cadet" name because it was already in use by Coonan for their short barreled 357 auto pistol, so the name was dropped in less than a year after production began. The non "Cadet" marked standard Colt 22, and 22 Target models I've seen are in the $250.00-$300.00 range. The first year "Cadet" guns are fairly scarce and will definitely bring a premium. I would price yours at no less than $450.00, assuming it's truly an unblemished NIB gun. These have been slow to catch on with collectors, but are beginning to rise in price.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have a pair of them that came through the Colt Collectors Assoc., one 4-1/2" fixed sight and a 6" Target model with the black rib on it. The short barreled one is S/N'ed on the side of the frame CADET 1XX and the 6" one is 1XX CADET - the same S/N but with a suffix and prefix "CADET". Never had them out of the plastic sleeve to fire them so I can't comment on accuracy and reliability. I bought them second hand from the original owner in 2002 and paid $360 /ea for them.
I had a couple of other ones - the 4-1/2" had a "PH" prefix and the 6" one had a "TM" prefix.

Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts