Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I believe I have the most pristine Colt Cavalry set extant. It is with the original shipping box, packing material etc. The shoulder stock and nipple wrench etc are still in their foam shipping container. The presentation box has never been used and the 1860's are wrapped in the original plastic sleeves with hang tag and anti corrosion paper. Obviously cylinders have never have been turned and I regreased them periodically every decade or so. I will attempt to attach pics. Any sense of current valuation would be appreciated. Yes I have followed the big auctions over the years and now some listings on the gun sites online. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
539 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Your set was manufactured between 1977 - 1980 (making it an 'F' series, 2nd generation gun set). The model number is F9005 US. The initial MSRP of the set was $995.

If you have been following the big auctions and the on-line gun sites, you should have a fairly close estimate of the market value. I estimate the value of the gun set to be around $1500. Of course, there are folks who will pay more, and some will pay less - it all depends how lucky (unlucky) you are when the bidding starts.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just for sake of clarification....not to be argumentative :)

You want to use Cavalry, from the French word cavalerie a horse mounted soldier.

Calvary is the plain outside Jerusalem where Jesus was crucified.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Yes, you have a two gun set (mdl F9500 US). Colt made 2985 of these 2 gun sets. These sets are not especially rare. The single gun set (mdl F9500-S) will have a 'C' suffix in the serial number. There were 40 single gun sets manufactured.

The estimated value of either set is still around $1500 (though I have seen some selling in the $1000-$1200 range). Your gun being in pristine condition may demand somewhat more

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Agreed. I was having to battle spell check so often that I missed my mistake during final edit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, you have a two gun set (mdl F9500 US). Colt made 2985 of these 2 gun sets. These sets are not especially rare. The single gun set (mdl F9500-S) will have a 'C' suffix in the serial number. There were 40 single gun sets manufactured.

The estimated value of either set is still around $1500 (though I have seen some selling in the $1000-$1200 range). Your gun being in pristine condition may demand somewhat more
Again thanks for the input. I remember a while ago when a lesser condition set went for 3000.00 at a well known auction house. Does this forum have a for sale page? New member and not fully up to speed on forum features but I did manage to upload photos..which was much easier than some other forums I belonged to years ago. Regards

·
Registered
539 Posts
Yes, this forum does have a classified section (scroll towards the bottom from the 'home' tab).

But I think you have to have a certain amount of postings before you can post in the 'want to sell' section. There are instructions available on how to post.

I have sold numerous items in this section, but you have to price reasonably - don't expect that $3000 that you are looking for from this set - those are auction prices with alot of bidders.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. No rush or need to sell. Just trying to get a feel...It's just that I have accumulated or collected "so much" and am facing an upcoming relocation/downsizing from my ranch and whether to do some thinning out of the herd ...the black powders can go to any of my kids without state restrictions...not so my some of my "AZ" guns...

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
You are required to have 50 quality posts to use the classifieds or pony up the $20 to become a supporting member.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought a set of unturned cylinders for $2000 last month on gunbroker ( I used buy it now option). I saw a set not nearly as nice with some pitting sell for $2280 at auction and was very happy I jumped on buying mine for what I did. mine came with original receipt from 1981 tags on triggerguards keys in envelope .all books and 2 l
Screenshot_20210723-133937_Chrome.jpg
etters from Colt

1 - 13 of 13 Posts