Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting little find. Anyone seen one before? Anyone heard of one? Anyone know anything about these? Anyone got one? Does anyone care?

Very similar to the "Combat Cobra" from Lew Horton.

[This message has been edited by WS23 (edited 04-25-2004).]

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I have seen exactly one and that was a picture. It really looked like the Combat Cobra only in a blue finish. Unfortunately the owner wanted more than I paid for my Combat Cobra so I passed.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I've seen two of these, in the last year. One at the Johnstown, Ohio, Labor day swap meet, and a fellow OGCA member had one for sale, at the last show. The Johnstown gun was showing some wear, with box and manual, for $700.00, and the OGCA gun looks new, but I don't think there was a box, for $800.00. I think these were part of a Lew Horton special purchase, and not a catalog item.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for your interest & playing along with me. I have only seen 1 such King Cobra CCL myself. The one I photed. I believe there is some guy on gunsamerica trying to sell a CCL right now. He lists some info there.

I really wanted to find the Lew Horton Combat Cobra as I think it was Majic that 1st posted a picture of one he had bought. Beautiful gun & I figured I wouldn't mind having one too. Thanks Majic for getting me hooked on that little cutie! So when I ran across the CCL variation, I liked it but, could dig up almost no info on it at all.

So part of what I now know is this:

CCL is Roman Numerals. C being 100 & L being 50. So that adds up to 250. This is the total production number. The low # produced probably contributes to it being relatively unknown. The CCL is also intended to represent 2.50 as in the barrel length. Just insert the decimal point in a different place.

The CCL is NOT a Lew Horton but a Western Hoagee (Glendale CA) exclusive limited to 250. (FYI Western Hoagee also commissioned the Kodiak & Grizzly guns.)

It was hyped to be the 1st 2.5" blued King Cobra. In other words before the King Cobra was available from the factory in blued 2.5". It came in the 150 Anniversary box (maroon) with paperwork including a certificate of authenticity serialized to the gun. I would guess it was Custom Shop but don't know this for sure. So based on the box alone that would put it between 1986 & 1989.

I don't mean to ask hard questions & I'm not testing anyone, it's just that when I run across something obscure it peaks my curiosity & I seek to extract as much info form others on the subject. Much like my questioning of the Kodiak (& Grizzly) a year back that no one responded to without prodding.

BTW Majic (or others), what would be a good price for a Combat Cobra in the event I actually find one?

And thanks ohiobuckeye for the pricing info on the CCL. It helps to put it into perspective.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts