Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having some problems finding a holster for my Cobra. I am no idiot and what aim about to ask may sound like i am but grand daddy always said "the only dumb question was the question you never asked" so here we go.

i have a bianchi model 57 i carry my smith & wesson m&p 40 in and i love it so i am looking for a bianchi leather holster for my cobra but when i search some sites (safari land & midway) when i try to select model of revolver all that comes up is Detective special or king cobra. well i own neither one of those.

looking at pics of colt cobra detective special and my colt cobra it appears they are the same with the exception of model however i am not wanting to assume anything. so can somebody maybe confirm that i am correct or direct me in the right direction.

thanks

1977 colt cobra 2" nickel cobra left side.jpg cobra left side.jpg

·
Registered
692 Posts
As Bianchi's designer Seventies and Eighties, including the Model 56, I can advise that certainly holster-wise the Agent, Cobra, and Dick Special are the same. When the 'new' Special came out, like yours, we changed out all our castings of the older model, for castings of the new one; because with the larger barrel and underlug, both old and new would fit the same holster. Can't imagine any maker is doing it differently today.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
are you saying that bianchi model 56 holster will fit my cobra? only reason i am making sure is i have looked on web and when i found model 56 the list of firearms that holster fit did not include colt cobra or any revolvers at all (on two sites anyways)

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
I have leather holsters specifically molded for the DS,q and the new Cobra does not fit properly. I have to force it in.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
hi , pm me with info on whether you are right or left handed and I'll poke around and find you a holster , hope this helps, rjf

·
Registered
692 Posts
are you saying that bianchi model 56 holster will fit my cobra? only reason i am making sure is i have looked on web and when i found model 56 the list of firearms that holster fit did not include colt cobra or any revolvers at all (on two sites anyways)
Ah, well, that would assume that Bianchi still makes the 56 or its last embodiment, the 56L. Which it doesn't appear to :). I stopped being responsible for their actions in 1987 so . . ..

Wiki reminds me that, "The Third Series ran from 1973 to 1986. A new shroud extended down from the barrel, enclosing and protecting the ejector-rod, and the front sight was changed to a full ramp. New, oversize wood gripstocks were introduced that covered the front frame strap. The Third Series featured improvements to the revolver's internal lockwork as well. As with the previous two Series, a few nickel-plated guns were produced, and a 3-inch-barrel variant was again offered. In 1986, facing stagnant sales numbers as well as rising production and labor costs, Colt discontinued production of the Detective Special."
That would explain why new holsters are so hard to come by!

The 56L designation meant 'revolver paddle', the 57L designation meant '380 auto paddle' and the 58L meant 'big auto paddle'. In those days these were limited to Colts, Smiths, and Rugers (except the 380 autos which were Walther and the like). Very simple times compared to today, for holster makers.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I have leather holsters specifically molded for the DS,q and the new Cobra does not fit properly. I have to force it in.
Well, of course. If one has a holster carefully moulded to the early Agent, etc., with its tapered barrel and no underlug, then that would be the result. Obviously (I thought) it would be those moulded to the larger post-73 pistol that would then fit the older, slim-barrelled Colts of the D frame. But not the reverse, naturally.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rj i am unable to send yo a pm because i don't have enough post, need 15 and only have 10 :bang_wall:i am right handed shooter and looking for a leather holster. high ride if possible but its not a deal breaker if not. i like the bianchi brand but since my 38 is a 1977 model i realize i may not be able to get a bianchi. thanks for any help

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
uh, thanks for being so observant but i fixed side screw same day right after i took the pics i posted. thanks for your help

·
Registered
7,951 Posts
You can take a look see on eBay, maybe find a vintage holster. I acquired a George Lawrence IWB-LH that was like new. The retention was as positive as it should be, but then I acquired a Bucheimer with a nice metal clip, also a LH.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,616 Posts
To be clear.....
If you have a 1977 Colt Cobra, any holster made for a Colt Detective Special will fit since the guns are the exact same size and shape.
The Cobra was nothing more then a Detective Special only made with an aluminum frame.

As stated above, when Colt changed to the new heavy shrouded barrel in 1973 most all holster makers changed their molding to fit the new version Colt.

If you can find a new Bianchi made to fit the Detective Special it will be a perfect fit for your 1977 Cobra.

The only difference in all this is with the new current Cobra Stainless, which has a slightly different shape of the trigger guard and may not be a good fit in a closely molded holster.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for all the help. i thought the detective specials looked pretty mush the same as my cobra just wanted to make sure. just gonna keep looking till i find one.

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
To be clear.....
If you have a 1977 Colt Cobra, any holster made for a Colt Detective Special will fit since the guns are the exact same size and shape.
The Cobra was nothing more then a Detective Special only made with an aluminum frame.

As stated above, when Colt changed to the new heavy shrouded barrel in 1973 most all holster makers changed their molding to fit the new version Colt.

If you can find a new Bianchi made to fit the Detective Special it will be a perfect fit for your 1977 Cobra.

The only difference in all this is with the new current Cobra Stainless, which has a slightly different shape of the trigger guard and may not be a good fit in a closely molded holster.

This is one is an old school style that fits perfectly since trigger guard is exposed.

6F766020-9635-441A-BF63-1FC1B1584447.jpeg 64B12AE0-778C-47D5-9C8F-9D32EC71A092.jpeg

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
saemetric i am guessing that both pics are of the same holster and if so dude that is just what i am looking for!!!! so that being said tell me kind sir what is the model, number or whatever of that holstered where can i get me one?

also i love those grips so again please kind sir where can i get me a set for my cobra?

·
Registered
32 Posts
You might try looking for a holster that fits a Ruger SP101. The SP101 is essentially the same frame size as a D frame Colt. Many holster makers list the same part number for both guns. I just ordered a Don Hume JIT slide #52 for my Detective Special.

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
You might try looking for a holster that fits a Ruger SP101. The SP101 is essentially the same frame size as a D frame Colt. Many holster makers list the same part number for both guns. I just ordered a Don Hume JIT slide #52 for my Detective Special.
Only possible problem with this is the Ruger is 5 shot and Colt is 6. If holster is fully formed, the flutes won’t line up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
all i know is not having a leather holster to carry my "girlfriend" in is driving me mad :bang_wall::bang_wall: i bought a real real cheap nylon holster at wally world just so i would have something to carry it in. but i have stopped carrying till i get me a leather one for her cause i do not like the way the cheap holster fits on my side not do i like the way it looks

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
saemetric i am guessing that both pics are of the same holster and if so dude that is just what i am looking for!!!! so that being said tell me kind sir what is the model, number or whatever of that holstered where can i get me one?
Enlarge the picture. It is a Safariland #17,

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ordered one from Galco for my 2017 Cobra....waiting "8 to 12 weeks".....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts