Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone offer advice regarding the barrel to my .38 Colt Cobra being frozen, or extremely difficult to open for loading - only under extreme pressure? I don't recall anything happening to it since I last used it, but that was about 20 years ago; since then it's been stored in a well-sealed lock box in good condition and other gun dealers have said it's not rusted and seems in great condition other than the barrel being stuck.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Do you mean the cylinder sticks/rubs against forcing cone? Maybe the B/C gap is very small and some gunpowder and/or lead residue has built up. Try cleaning the face\of the cylinder and the end ofthe forcing cone That may help.

Also,Is the ejector rod screwed in tight to the cylinder?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,612 Posts
If it's been stored for 20 years, it's a good bet the lubricant has dried up and turned into a "varnish-like" substance that has simply gummed up the works.

My first move would be to give the gun a good cleaning and fresh lube in all the hidden areas, including the area on the cylinder crane that enters the frame.
A lube like CLP Breakfree will penetrate and dissolve the old lube and may free everything up.

I you don't know how to properly disassemble a Colt......DON'T. They're complicated and easy to damage.
Either have a GOOD gunsmith clean it for you, or remove the grips and spray everything with a gun scrubber spray, dry well, then spray in CLP.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Colt barrel frozen

Thanks all for your suggestions. I'm taking the Cobra to a trusted gunsmith who'll probably do everything you suggested.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts