Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shot my Colt cobra yesterday and the cylinder crane is stiff to swing out from the weapon. Slow and with a degree of pressure.

Loads I've shot in this gun is 4.0grs of Unique and a 158 gr LSWC and lit by a standard primer.

It doesn't appear to be sprung it acts like it is dragging inside the weapon. Never dismantled a Colt but thousands of S&Ws.

How do I fix it?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
To remove the crane assembly,carefully remove the screw on the right side of the gun,under the cylinder. Go SLOWLY,as the screw is hollow,and inside it is a small coil spring which presses on a small plunger.Take all 3 out,pull crane off from front and the clean the crane,the recess where it fits in frame,and the screw,spring & plunger. Reassemble in reverse order,and see if crane feels better before you tighten it(use a properly fitting screwdriver,as alloy frames are impossible to touch up any dings!). I agree,that the load you shoot is "mild",as I use about .5 more grains Unique,with no ill effect. Good Luck! Bud

·
Registered
794 Posts
I use the same general purpose load as you. 4 grs of Unique crony's at about 650 ft/sec in 2" barrel. This load is very milds & has nothing to do with your stiff cylinder crane.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Lonewolf and WS23 for your replies. I chickened out and took the Cobra to a local old time gunsmith who dismantled and cleaned the weapon thoroughly. I also had him put an orange insert in the front sight.

The weapon functions like new now the crane has freed up and the trigger pull is much lighter and these old eyes can see the front sight rather quickly now, without squinting.

Whole trip to the Smithy was $60.00 and done in 3 days.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts