Colt Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts
I wear the name of "Dinosaur" with alot of pride. I love when I will hear a person talking about how a snubbie is "inaccurate" with my electronic muffs while I blow out the Q on a FBI Q target @ 40 feet and shoot a "Happy Face" in it for good measure. I will be asked "How do you do that?" and I will just say practice.The "Tactical Tupperware" craze has given many shooters a false sense of security that marksmanship can be replaced by capacity.If more people trained with our beloved D Frames there would be alot more Snubbie carriers and shooters,and they would be happy doing so.

I wear the name of "Dinosaur" with alot of pride. I love when I will hear a person talking about how a snubbie is "inaccurate" with my electronic muffs while I blow out the Q on a FBI Q target @ 40 feet and shoot a "Happy Face" in it for good measure. I will be asked "How do you do that?" and I will just say practice.The "Tactical Tupperware" craze has given many shooters a false sense of security that marksmanship can be replaced by capacity.If more people trained with our beloved D Frames there would be alot more Snubbie carriers and shooters,and they would be happy doing so.
Snubbys, whether Colt or S&W J frame, are not inherrently inacurate. They merely have short barrels and even shorter sight radii. Put one in a Ransom Rest and you will see just how accurate these small revolvers are.
You provided the key to shooting them well. Practice, practice, practice.

Personally, I think snubbys are expert's guns, not beginner's guns.

And yes, you are a dinosaur! That makes me petrified, I guess :D

Here are my 1968 Cobra twins, both NIB. One is .38 Special, the other .32 NP.

View attachment 43865 View attachment 43866
Very nice.
Do you have a carry Cobra, too?

Here's mine. 1964, the first full year of the simplified and wider blade front sight with no wider base/pedestal. The rear sight channel also had to be slightly widened for a good sight picture. Frankly, I like the first pattern post war semi ramped front sight better.

I love the Cobras and I carried one for many years on the job, and still do. I will add some pics of my "old" warrior tomorrow. I was just checking out the forum before I left for a security detail. Peace.Blade.

My old Agent in a tooled holster that I bought from an old SW Iowa lawman years ago ($5). He had a long frame DS that was beat to hell & back that he tried to sell me as well (passed on that one). Apparently that gun/holster was his duty rig for years. One of my favs + it has a good story!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Snubbys, whether Colt or S&W J frame, are not inherrently inacurate. They merely have short barrels and even shorter sight radii. Put one in a Ransom Rest and you will see just how accurate these small revolvers are.
You provided the key to shooting them well. Practice, practice, practice.

Personally, I think snubbys are expert's guns, not beginner's guns.

And yes, you are a dinosaur! That makes me petrified, I guess :D
I have no problem hitting the bull's eye at 25 yards with my _____ & ______ two inch .357 snubbie shooting full power magnum loads, single action though. It's true, they're plenty accurate and there are youtube vids of guys shooting snubbies out to 100 and 200 yards and hitting the target!

Sadly, I don't yet have a Colt snubbie, but I think my first Colt snubbie will be a Colt Commando, shrouded barrel, in parkerize, a Colt Lawman MKIII, a Colt Agent, unshrouded, a Detective Special, shrouded and unshrouded, a WWII Colt Commando snubbie, a Colt Sheriff's SAA: one 2nd generation and one 1800's 1st generation Sheriff's SAA, another Colt Agent, shrouded, a pre-WWII Colt Detective Special with square butt wood grips, and a pre-WWII Detective Special with square butt gutta percha grips... that will be my first Colt snubbie when I hit the lottery, when my ship comes in. :)

Beautiful little holster, Geichal, who's the maker? Bucheimer, Clark, & others have all produced that style holster. Looks like a sweet little Agent in it too. I have to admit that I've had two DS's but sold them both off (to the same guy, at different times) since I much prefer the trigger pull on my S&W j-frames. But I keep hearing their siren song whenever I see a d-frame snubby so I'm sure I'll get another one of these days. I'd like an Agent but since DS's come up for sale a lot more often that's probably what it'll be.

My old Agent in a tooled holster that I bought from an old SW Iowa lawman years ago ($5). He had a long frame DS that was beat to hell & back that he tried to sell me as well (passed on that one). Apparently that gun/holster was his duty rig for years. One of my favs + it has a good story!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Now that is a real nice compact set up! With a beautiful $5 holster. You know what I don't recall seeing on this forum, anyone owning one of those 1980's parkerized Agents that were meant to be economical. Colt fans might consider them rather homely but I kind of liked them.

That's actually the Agent I'd ike. I much prefer the short-butt d-frames, and like the later shrouded ejector rod versions. Also like a matte finish, so one of those 1980's Agents would be perfect. I seem to recall that Colt sold a similarly-finished gun around the same time called the Commando-- basically a Detective Special without a nice finish (sorta like pre-faded blue jeans) but have never seen one of them here either.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.