Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a .38 spl cobra that does not function properly when firing double action. It will fire maybe two or three ok, but then the cylinder rotates off the bolt causing the gun to jam. I can turn the cylinder back to the notch and the next round will fire. I can't duplicate this by dry-firing. anyone know what could cause this?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I have already read that post. On the section about cylinder lock-up, he says that the bolt should drop into the cylinder notch before the hammer is at full cock. On mine the bolt drops in exactly at full cock. A little late? everything else seems to be ok.

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
are you dry fireing the gun with snap caps?? are you shooting reloads?? or very lite target loads?? do the primers show any tracking where they might be rubbing the recoil plate??

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,805 Posts
Locking JUST before the hammer reaches full cock is perfect, locking AS the hammer reaches full cock is still OK.

Not gone over in that post is a condition known as "Roll-back".
If the top of the locking bolt gets worn, the cylinder can actually roll backward.
A worn bolt, or one that's working sluggishly can also fail to STAY locked under recoil.

What can happen is, under recoil the bolt is "bouncing" out of the cylinder lock notch, and the cylinder is moving either forward or backward slightly.

While this isn't really dangerous, it IS a symptom of something out of order.

I recommend sending it in to either Colt or Pittsburgh Handgun Headquarters for inspection and repair.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replies, I had wondered about possibly primers or cases causing friction at the recoil plate, but I didn't think to keep those separate from the rest of my brass. I will do some more shooting and check that out. As for the bolt popping out of the cylinder notch under recoil, that sure sounds like what is happening. As for repairing it, I won't bother as the guy who sold it to me will return my money if I want.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts