Colt Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a new to me Cobra. The finish is pretty well shot and worn away. Otherwise, seems in good mechanical shape. I plan to give it a good cleaning tonight. Should I remove the side plate to clean and lube the innards? I have done that for an old S&W J frame, but is the Colt a different/more difficult revolver to open? Any caveats? I'm also considering the Gun-Kote bake on finish from Brownell's, any feedback on that product?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Greetings, Heysox! Don't know anything about the finish product you mentioned - but if you use it and it works, I've got an Official Police I'd try it on, too. Taking the sideplate off a Colt double action isn't tricky - it isn't even difficult. Done it myself a time or two and it did improve things - BUT, there are some caveats about what jumps out from under the screws when you take them out. If you research these pages, our own dfarriswheel instructed me on how to do this, once. I haven't done it since and I'm not in practice. I do remember it's not as easy as with the brand X gun where the cylinder turns the wrong way. (Ha, ha!) And cleaning any revolver is certainly not as easy as the 1911 auto - what is? But, that's the price we pay for accuracy and not bending over to pick up our brass!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts