Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Colt Collector\'s Assn - Anyone a member?

Just wondering if anyone was a member of the Colt Collector's Assn. and what you think of it. Is it worth it? What is the "Rampant Colt" magazine like. Ever been to one of the annual meetings/shows? Etc.

I was thinking of joining and wanted some opinions.

Thanks.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Re: Colt Collector\'s Assn - Anyone a member?

I am. If you are really into Colts, the newsletter has articles you won't find anywhere else, though they are dominated by SAA and percussion themes. You will see very little about post-war revolvers IMO. The annual CCA show is wonderful because it is all Colt and only Colt. Not a single Brand X in sight. This year it is in Kansas City beginning Oct. 6, I believe. Although there are hours open to the public, it is members only for the first day or so. If you want a certain Colt, you can probably find it at this show. The website is www.coltcollectorsassociation.com.

Is it worth the price? For me it has been, because I have met some people that are experts and trustworthy that I can go to for a question or purchase knowing I won't get burned or steered wrong; and have developed some friendships, too.

You can always join for a year to see if it suits you, but absolutely try to get to a show.

B.W.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Yeah, I've been to the website which is actually: http://coltcollectorsassoc.com/

I was thinking of heading to the show since I am not too far away. If I can convince either the wife or a fellow "gun nut" to go. It sounds like a good time.

Thanks for the info!! I think I will join.

·
Registered
573 Posts

Bushwhacker was pretty accurate in his assessment. I am a life member of the CCA and have been for about 15+ years. The Rampant Colt is well done and very worthwhile. I have been to 2 or 3 CCA shows over the years and also found them to be fun and interesting, but heavy on the cowboy stuff. The CCA does indeed seem to have a major bias in favor of the Single Action and percussion guns, and the collectors of those guns seem to run things. Double action and automatic pistols don't get much attention, in my experience. Even so, I have found the CCA membership to be valuable and I would recommend it to anyone with a strong interest in any Colt firearms. There are information and sources in the CCA that are available nowhere else.

Charlie Flick

·
Registered
2,351 Posts

Ditto the previous descriptions. The percussion guns, SAA's, and the people who collect them, dominate the quarterly journals. Another CCA benefit, is a 10% discount on all Colt Historical letters which, these days, are pricey.

·
Registered
154 Posts

CCA puts out a great magazine and the Colt Collector shows are impressive. Sat in on the auction for the show gun one year. When the bidding started to slow, the gent sitting next to me says to himself, "I've got this gun!" Shortly thereafter he wins the bidding and walks away feeling he had stolen the gun for only twenty thousand dollars. Wow, some people live in a different world that I do!

·
Registered
150 Posts

Having been a minor league Colt collector for years (incl. Colt memorabilia) I decided to join the CCA a couple of years ago. Granted, the "Rampant Colt" leans heavily towards SAA's (I only have one), the annual show always seems to be too far to comfortably attend, and most of the Colts advertised are, well, "out of my league", it does help feed the addiction some of us have for "everything Colt". I even keep the envelope the magazine comes in just for the logo. I think it's well worth the small tariff. -Asa

·
Registered
47 Posts

I've been a member for many years, and keep kickin myself for missing the show in VA a few years back, as I could have driven to it. Oh, well, maybe sometime in their next 25 years there'll be another one in my neck of the woods.

I enjoy The Rampant Colt and the level of research required to publish an article. Honestly, though, that's rarified air you're breathing in. "Back of the envelope" calculations put the value of some collections at or above the $Million mark; sort of like a one-day guest pass to Pebble Beach.

I've personally communicated with several authors and fellow collectors that I've met through the magazine, and have found them all friendly and helpful and not at all pretentious. Every one was open and willing to answer questions and share knowledge.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts

Hi Dorsey,
I agree with your assessment of the Colt Collectors Association... It is a Great Group of people and everyone is most helpful and friendly. I certainly enjoy being a member!

While the Single Action draws a lot of attention in the magazine, I think that is only because very few articles have been written by members about other topics. I know that the editor, Kurt House will publish articles on other topics and he has asked for articles from members in the magazines. The content of the magazine is member generated so he can only print what he receives ....

I saw your Colt photo in the "Revolvers..." section. That is a GREAT PICTURE! Your daughter does GREAT WORK! And, those are exceptionally nice guns! I notice you have a VERY nice Model 1889 New Navy Model there, too! One of my favorite models... :)and some interesting small frame .32s as well...

You ought to take a moment and see about writing something up for the CCA... Kurt's address is in the front of the magazine. It's fun to do and informative for the members! I would enjoy hearing about the .32 frame models you show in the photo... Great Display!
Take care, Bob Best

1 - 10 of 10 Posts