Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who are CCA members, you may be interested in some newly posted content on Colt Collectors – The Premier Gun Collecting Website in the World -- at the last annual convention in Frisco Texas, CCA Life Member Kurt House, gave a great presentation on Colt Engraving from 1873 - 1940 which was recorded and recently posted to the members only area.

Additionally, we've just posted six complete past issues of the Rampant Colt magazine (including the latest issue). We are working to add more back issues and are researching the cost of creating a full text searchable library of all past CCA issues in digital format as an additional member benefit. We've recently added some younger and more technically savvy members to the CCA board, and with these additions comes the expectation of online access to information as well as the need for the association to evolve -- and we're already seeing progress. Our president, Scott Woller and the other officers and directors are fully committed to the continued growth and success of the CCA for many years to come.

Those of you who are CCA members already know that CCA's Rampant Colt Magazine is among the best if not the best gun collecting magazine. If you're not a member, it's worth the $50 annual membership fee just to get the four issues of the magazine. Once we're back to having shows, your Life or annual membership fee also gets you free access to the four day all-Colt show. If you've never attended one, it's four days of nothing but Colts -- and a great opportunity to meet in person many of the Colt enthusiasts who frequent the Colt Forum.

We've also improved the sign-up process so you can pay online using PayPal as a subscription or you can complete online and print out the Acrobat version of the CCA Membership Application and send it in with your payment. I've been a member for 30 years and have met some of my best friends through this great organization. If you have questions, please ask -- and I and the rest of the CCA board welcome any questions, comments and suggestions you may have for ways to improve the CCA.

Thanks in advance for your consideration,

Sam Lisker
Director, CCA

·
Premium Member
all can view my website
1,854 Posts
I agree with everything Sam said. If you are not a member, become one. You will be glad you did. My wife and I really enjoy the Colt Show. It is fun and there are a lot of good people to meet. The first person to PM me, if you will commit to renewing your membership at least one year, I will pay your first year dues.
mentallapse
randy

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sam, I just took a look at the CCA Member's Only area and I think you guys are definitely on the right track! Adding digital value to an already great club will just make it even better and will attract new/younger members. I agree that The Rampant Colt magazine is the best in the business. Some things I'd like to see:

1. ALL past issues digitized
2. A fully searchable library is a MUST and would be worth the annual dues fee all by itself. I've saved every issue for my 11+ years in CCA. While collecting, I'll frequently remember seeing something years earlier in The Rampant Colt, but I rarely feel like going to the effort of thumbing page-by-page through back issues to find it again. Having access to searchable/digitized content would also let members essentially carry their research library with them to gun shows, etc.
3. Add a S/N & Year cross-reference for each model in the Member's Only section. Many of the websites out there have inaccurate S/N data. And either way, just having a one-stop-shop for research data is more value added.
4. We need many more seminars (multiple each day) at every CCA convention. I've never met a group of collectors more willing to freely share their expertise. CCA should be prioritizing capturing and preserving the lifetime's wealth of knowledge our senior members have in their heads.
5. Record & post every single seminar so that members can refer back to it again whenever needed for research, and so those who are unable to attend in person can still participate as well.
6. Add a private member's only forum that includes a digitized version of the Classified Ads section in The Rampant Colt (Looking For, WTS, etc.). Many more members would take advantage of that service if it were in real time instead of delayed by the months of lag inherent in print versions.
7. Great job moving to digital dues payments and subscriptions. An excellent follow-on would be digital forms submissions, electronic payments, and e-confirmations for convention & table reservations so nothing needs to be sent by snail mail.

Thanks for all the hard work you guys are doing to modernize and add value to what is already a great club!
-DC

·
Registered
31 Posts
I too will follow in the footsteps of Randy's excellent leadership and donate a year of membership to the first NEW (non-CCA) member who accepts this offer and joins the club for at least 1 year.

To keep your data secure, it's best if you just enter everything yourself: Click on the link in Sam's OP above. Go to "MAGAZINE -- BECOME A CCA MEMBER" and complete your application & payment (It's only $50 for 1 year, $95 for 2, or $135 for 3). PM me your new registered name and how many years you bought and I'll work with Sam to add a $50 extension to whatever you bought.

The CCA is a great group and the annual convention is always a blast! Come join us...

-DC

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DC,

We appreciate your thoughtful feedback and suggestions — all excellent ones and will contribute to the value to members. Everything you mentioned is on the list of what we have planned in addition to several other things. Given the number of Colt collectors in the world, all of them should be CCA members. And thanks to you and Randy for stepping up and for each of you paying member dues for one new CCA member — very generous of you both.

Thanks again and please keep the ideas/suggestions coming.

Sam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
The Consummate Collector
6,527 Posts
Sam. Great job and a big thanks to you and the rest of the board members. I highly recommend that every Forum member give strong consideration to joining the Colt Collectors Association. As Sam mentioned the magazine is the best publication you could ask for when it comes to Colts. For those of you who have not joined and are thinking about it send me a PM with a number from 1-100. Only one entry per forum member. The first to pick the number that I have set aside gets a free one-year membership from me.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I am a member of CCA went to the site and saw place to log in BUT I have neve set up an account on line to gain access.
How do I gain access to set up an account ??

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am a member of CCA went to the site and saw place to log in BUT I have neve set up an account on line to gain access.
How do I gain access to set up an account ??
Please visit this page: Login – Colt Collectors

If you don't have an email attached to your record, please PM me and I will help to get you setup on the site.

Thanks,

Sam

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Sam, in the past it was stressed to me that the CCA was an inclusive organization. To become a member you had to be sponsored by a member and they were particular as to whom they let in. I always viewed it as elitist. A lot of organizations are finding now they have to open up to new members in order to survive.

Reactions: Coltautos

·
Premium Member
all can view my website
1,854 Posts
They let me in!

I don't want to belong to an organization which I believe to
be made up of elitist. My wife and I started out visiting the
Colt shows. Even when we didn't know anyone there, we never
felt as if we didn't belong. It is easier to feel a part of a group
when there is common ground existing between the members.
The CCA members definitely have common ground. We have
some very good friends today because of the CCA.

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Sam, in the past it was stressed to me that the CCA was an inclusive organization. To become a member you had to be sponsored by a member and they were particular as to whom they let in. I always viewed it as elitist. A lot of organizations are finding now they have to open up to new members in order to survive.
Since I’ve belonged, it’s always been an inclusive organization — perhaps your questioning if it’s exclusive. I can tell you it isn’t.

When I joined 30 years ago, I used an application that I received as an insert in a catalog and just sent in my payment. Over the years, membership has become easier than ever and we invite and encourage anyone with an interest in Colts to join.

You and other members are all welcome — we’d enjoy having you as members! Glad to answer any other questions anyone has.

Sam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
The Consummate Collector
6,527 Posts
I don't know where you got that information but membership is open to anyone who is interested in joining. The CCA usually signs up a good number of members at the show each year and those are folks who just show up and want to be members.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I don't know where you got that information but membership is open to anyone who is interested in joining. The CCA usually signs up a good number of members at the show each year and those are folks who just show up and want to be members.
When I joined about three years ago, the application form required the name of someone who could vouch for you as a new member. Your name and city/state were then published in the magazine for three issues in case a current member might object to admitting you into the organization. That could be where he got that information.

I find it ironic that after all these many years I finally gain admittance to an "exclusive organization" only to find that they want to make it inclusive. (Or maybe that's why they admitted me in the first place?) :unsure:

1 - 20 of 79 Posts