Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to my first one today because I live here and it was fun. I have been a Colt collector for 20 years and it is fun to run into people with more knowledge than myself. Also as of today I am new to this board. I have some Colt items for sale which I will list when I can take a picture. Mike

·
Premium Member
6,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It probably took 1 1/2 hours to walk the whole show and look at everything that one is interested in. I would say a medium size show but 99% of everything was Colt. Lots of guns and most were very proud (no deals) of them. I did find some odds and ends was able to sell some items. Some guns that I have never seen before where the Berdan rifles. Someone had a mint collection of Colt lightnings. A Python collector had a 41 mag. python built on a target python action with a 8in. barrel and blue finish. A auction house had 2 Colt walkers that they were going to auction in Dec. along with several other Colts. Single actions everywhere. Some collector had about a complete display of every pre-war double action and finishes. Colt was displaying its annual gun it donates to the CCA auction. It was a modern target Colt SAA. Every type of Colt collector was there. SAA, 1911s, Woodsmans, Rifles, 32 autos and percussion both modern and original. Original documents from past factory employees along with much memorabilia was present. Kathleen Hoyt (current historian) was there. Both days that I went I was with other gun people but not colt collectors and could have spent more time there but now I know.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Only an hour and a half? I was there for four days and still felt like I missed stuff. As things went out the door stuff came out from under the table. every time I rounded the room I saw something new. Beautiful static displays by advanced (more money than sense) people. I talked for several minutes to each of the master engravers who were there. They were great. One even demonstrated for me how they do gold inlays. As smkummer said, something there for EVERYBODY.

·
Registered
150 Posts
W.99-just join the Colt Collectors Association and you'll get all the info. on the upcoming show you'll need. -Asa

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
W.99-just join the Colt Collectors Association and you'll get all the info. on the upcoming show you'll need. -Asa

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. I looked on their website.

Are you a member? If so, how do you like it?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hi Guys:

I too was at the show, we went only on Friday. Got there when they opened the doors to the public and left when they closed the doors to the public. We are not members and did not join at the show, but I think we might.

Overall I was impressed with the show,I agree there was a wide variety of guns and other memorabilia, but I was also "sticker shocked" (as I stated in a different post) I was very surprised at some of the prices the vendors had on their pieces. When I asked a couple of the "guys" I chatted with why their prices were $500.00 ++ above book, they said at this point you can just throw out the book for Colt guns. So am I too assume that I can now "up" the value of each piece in my collection? I'm not sure how to take their responses? Oh well, any comments?

By the way, next year's show is in Reno.

·
Registered
29 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

When I asked a couple of the "guys" I chatted with why their prices were $500.00 ++ above book, they said at this point you can just throw out the book for Colt guns. So am I too assume that I can now "up" the value of each piece in my collection? I'm not sure how to take their responses?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it means it's a good place to sell, bad place to buy. I know a Louisville dealer who sold a blue 4" Python for $950, to a customer who then went downtown to the CCA show and unloaded it for $1250.

You don't have to pay those prices - unless they have something you just can't find anywhere else (9mm Magnum Carry?!), in which case you're probably willing to pay those prices.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hi bvZed:

Thanks for your reply!!! And yes I agree that was a great place to sell but reallly not to buy, unless you just couldn't live without it. There were a few things that I wanted to come home with, but had to pass.

All and all I was satisfied with the show and enjoyed seeing all the Colt things (some I'd never seen before) and I enjoyed chatting with all the different folks there, they seemed to be a great group of people and looked like they were enjoying themselves.

Thanks again, Julie

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
The show is put on annually by the "Colt Collectors Association". They move the location every year and try to cover the country. Next year it will be at the Grand Sierra Resort in Reno Nevada, On October 4,5,6,&7. I've been a member for about 3 years but this was the first time I was able to attend. Very nice show. If you're a colt junkie it was kind of like attending a game at the home stadium of your favorite sports team. The CCA also puts out a very nice quarterly magazine called "The Rampant Colt". I'm sure the CCA website has more information.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts