Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just recently inherited a Colt Combat Commander. .45 cal Semi. It appears to be made of aluminum alloy. There is some pitting. Can it be refinished? How do you field strip one of these to clean it? Any suggestions on how to bring it back up to snuff? What can you tell me about this gun? Ser.# 70SC237xx.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
A Combat Commander would be a steel framed model. If the frame is a light weight alloy then it is a Commander.
Pitting would mean a restore or refinish job if you want them removed. Since you are asking the question it's obviously beyond your knowledge and I suggest you take it to a professional for the work.
Field stripping would be exactly like the Government model.
Remove mag and check chamber.
Turn barrel bushing to release the recoil plug and spring.
Cock the hammer.
Push slide back to align cutout in slide with slide stop.
Remove slide stop.
Remove the slide forward off the frame.
Turn barrel bushing in opposite direction and remove from slide.
Invert slide, fold barrel lug forward and slide barrel out of the frame.

Have it checked to see if the pits aren't deep enough to cause metal weakness. Then clean it and shoot it if you don't want to restore/refinish it. A replacement of the springs may be a good idea depending on their condition.
The serial number would date it to around 1974. That serial number also says it's a steel framed Combat Commander as the alloy Commander had a "LW" or "CLW" in it's serial number.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Yes, the plating was called "electroless nickel". I used to have the twin to your gun, but sold it when Uncle Sam sent me to Guam (I was told that any gun sent there would be stolen enroute).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts