Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this Combat Elite back in 2011 and it was/is a really nice 1911. One of the things that bothered me though was the thumb safety, for a couple of reasons. Reason number one is it was uncomfortable. It had a sharp edge on the rear and with my thumb-over-safety grip it dug into my thumb which was annoying. Reason number two is the thumb safety was apparently MIM, which is fine, but it had 'mold' lines which was unattractive in my opinion. So I disassembled the pistol and used a dremel tool to recontour the back edge. I then used some sandpaper to get rid of the mold lines. I polished it up with the dremel, and then used a bead blaster on it to get the look back to original.

A few other things I did was slightly bend the grip safety leaf of the sear spring to get rid of the rattle in the grip safety, replace the polymer mainspring housing with a stainless steel gold cup one, and put in a series 80 to series 70 conversion shim (It's not a carry gun).

Now the handgun is comfortable to shoot, doesn't rattle, and has a really nice trigger. Just figured I'd share.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
I feel MIM parts are fine in certain areas and the Safety is one that works well with MIM parts. I also HATE the "parting line" that is left and I do the same as you did to remove the line. You did a really nice job on the Safety!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I feel MIM parts are fine in certain areas and the Safety is one that works well with MIM parts. I also HATE the "parting line" that is left and I do the same as you did to remove the line. You did a really nice job on the Safety!!!
Thank you

1 - 8 of 8 Posts