Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 1988, Colt made 500 combat pythons. It is incorrectly assumed that all of these were ordered by Lew Horton, which took 300 of them. What happened to the other 200? With respect to those floating around Europe, it is known that a consignment of x number guns went to Franconia (the German Cabelas) and I always assumed that most of the European combat pythons came from this lot. I just found another combat python in Italy that I have offered to buy and it has a very interesting colt letter. It turns out that 70 of these guns were shipped directly to the Italian bank Monte deli Paschi di Siena in Turin. I purchased a Combat python in Italy but have not been able to take possession of it yet so I don’t have a letter for mine but here is a letter for this second one I just made an offer on.

It is interesting to find this out.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Purely by chance it happens that I worked for about forty years in the Turin branch of that bank, and for about twelve of them exactly at the Foreign Department, in 1988 I was working there, so I can tell for sure that it's very very unlikely that any kind of merchandise, let alone weapons, was ever materially shipped to the bank itself.
Demarchi was the official COLT importer for Italy in those years, I used to know them pretty well, they had their premises in Turin, they used to deal also with our bank, and probably the MONTE DEI PASCHI DI SIENA appeared on some bill of ladings as was the bank they might have used for their payments, but nothing else.

Regards.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Purely by chance it happens that I worked for about forty years in the Turin branch of that bank, and for about twelve of them exactly at the Foreign Department, in 1988 I was working there, so I can tell for sure that it's very very unlikely that any kind of merchandise, let alone weapons, was ever materially shipped to the bank itself.
Demarchi was the official COLT importer for Italy in those years, I used to know them pretty well, they had their premises in Turin, they used to deal also with our bank, and probably the MONTE DEI PASCHI DI SIENA appeared on some bill of ladings as was the bank they might have used for their payments, but nothing else.

Regards.
Thanks for the input. I know DeMarchi was Colt’s importer but if you check the address on the colt letter where its records show the gun was shipped, it corresponds to the bank itself. It’s a mystery.

·
Registered
108 Posts
It's not a mystery really, IIRC in compliance with the agreements of the parts (seller and buyer) some goods can be cleared by the buyer only after payment, so in these cases the address of the importer/buyer on the Bill of Lading is c/o the bank.
That doesn't literally mean that the goods get physically sent to the buyer's bank, they simply remain with the customs until the seller (in this case COLT) receive the payment.
Regards.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts