Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone see the article in Gun List about Colts future? Very interesting stuff. There may be hope yet. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best, but won't hold my breath.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Ok stupid question what is Gun List? Is it a print magazine or can I read it online?

Dave

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
dave, the gun list is simular to "shotgun news" it`s how us old timers "used" to buy guns. there are few photo`s by private sellers and we used to have to read a written description. an example follows: f/s colt o/p in scarce 32-20 cal. shows careful use but no abuse. original and approx 80% condition. 5 in. bbl, blue/wood. it seems we are now spoiled and wont bid on a auction unless there are 10 photo`s and they were taken by a 500$ digital camera. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As Dux said Gunlist (www.gunlistonline.com) is similar to shotgun news, listing guns for sale. They've recently slightly altered their format and now include articles of general interest to gun owners.
The Colt article covering just two pages was written by Robert Hausman. In it they talked to William Keys the CEO at colt. The articlecontains generaly already available information about the company such as the division into military and commercial companies. Keys says that they would like to increase procuction but have been having trouble sourceing parts from other manufacturers of colt quality. It makes no promise of reurn to DA revolvers but mentions some interesting developments. They have patented a nodular nickel boron coating (greasless technology) which is supposed eliminate the need for lubrication. They have acquired a Canadian defense firm. He Hinted that a Python manufactured with CNC might be made someday. and says they are working on a new revolver frame to revive some of its revolver models such as the anaconda. It also hints at a stainless SAA for the cowboy action market. Keys reiterated that all colt frames and barrels are forgings not castings insisting that Colt customers are getting their moneys worth.
No earth shattering news just a lot of maybes, but the article says Colt is now making a profit so there may be hope.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Let us hope that Colt will avoid any "politically correct" baggage such as locks, etc. on any new models they might introduce. If they avoid the baggage I'd buy new revolvers from them as soon as I saw them on the market. Especially a nice belt model .38 or .357 and a Detective Special.

Ya' hear that Smith & Wesson!

Thanks for raising my hopes. I didn't see the article.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Most promising of all in this article is the mentioning of Colt making profit.

If they can continue being profittable it could create the possibility of Colt moving back into the commercial market and even maybe revive the DA-s.

I still remain hopeful, maybe it's a lost cause, but who knows...

·
Registered
400 Posts
Thanks Dux I purchase The Shotgun News every now and then so now I understand. About the article I hope it's not all corporate spin and that some of those rumors might be true. I still need to find my Python.

Dave

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't think they'll be able to avoid the locks and such crap. Too many places where they wouldn't be able to sell their products. I'm hopeful the greaseless technology may give them a headstart on some of the others.
I'd most certainly buy a new detective special. Might even come up with enough money for a python depending on the rendition.

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think they'll be able to avoid the locks and such crap.

[/ QUOTE ]
i would not give up hope, the current production saa is without lock on it`s primitave action. i would expect any future d/a to be built in the custom shop and expensive but given the current prices..... it would be nice to have the option to buy new d/a`s again. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
..... it would be nice to have the option to buy new d/a`s again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. You couldn't give me a new Smith. Ruger DA? Ugh.

USFA has shown that a company can marry CNC work with hand finishing and produce a quality product. I hope that Colt can do the same.

A stainless SAA? Seems like a no-brainer to me. Don't know why they didn't do it years ago.

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
I agree with DFrame about the locks. Locks are a fact of life these days. However, there are ways to hide the lock so that it will not be a wart like on the Smiths. The Safety Hammer seemed adequate to me, and I was surprised that it was not used on Smiths, since Safety Hammer bought Smith. Taurus uses the same thing. HY-K hides its lock.
Ruger has a hidden lock that requires a hole in the stocks to activate as I understand it.

·
Registered
991 Posts
[[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. The top quality gun manufacturers have still avoided this. Freedom Arms will not market guns in Maryland specifically because of the internal lock laws. However, I can buy a brand new Freedom Arms revolver and have it shipped here because MD circumvented the stupid lock laws by approving an external safety device in 2004. Another example of politicians being too stupid to admit they made a mistake and try to cover it with some "round about" legislation. I don't believe Colt will incorporate an internal lock. Only time will tell.

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
[[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. The top quality gun manufacturers have still avoided this.

[/ QUOTE ]
i cant rember where i saw it but somewhere i read the more expensive the gun the less likely the maker to be sued. did s&w`s schofield have a lock during it`s production?? if you will use this forum as an example, most members if not all keep their guns securly locked in safes, they are too valueable not too. the chances of them being used in a crime of any kind is very remote. as an example i recently bought a 1916 officers mod. from the internet, i asked the seller "how do you prefer payment? cert. funds?? he relplied" people that buy this type gun do not write bad checks your personal check is fine and the gun ships when i recieve it" think about it for a min. he is right in my opinion. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
One way to look at this is that Colt currently isn't selling ANY new DAs anywhere in the country. If they reintroduced a double action without a lock and weren't able to sell in Kalifornia, Mass, etc., they would STILL be selling more guns than they are now.

The SAA doesn't have a lock. Neither does the 1911. It would be sad to see a Python with a lock IMO.

Of course, I am just an internet poster and they are the actual company so the decision is entirely up to them.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I don't pretend to understand the market, but if Colt starts making the old revolvers again, won't the value of the guns we've been buying recently for twice what they're worth go down? I don't wish Colt anything bad, but maybe we're better off financially with the way things are.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Ouch, there's always someone around that brings me back to reality... With their Darn Logic...

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

1 - 20 of 39 Posts