Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend who owns a LGS called me yesterday to tell me that my Colt revolver I delivered to his gunsmith was finished. The gun is an older Colt that I had for years, and was one of my favorite carry pieces. I was never sure what model Colt is was. I posted pics here , and was informed that the gun was possibly a PPS that was re-barreled with a "chopped" bull type barrel. I love the gun, so when I broke the front sight off I decided to send it to a gunsmith and have the barrel re-crowned, the front sight installed, an action job done and the whole package re-finished. Well it is finally finished, I will pick it up next week. Now, I have the original Colt stocks for it, but I want to put some new "shoes" on my gun . My problem is I still am not sure what model this gun is. I am posting a photo of the gun as I sent it to the gunsmith's. I am hoping the experts here can tell me what model stocks I should be looking for. Thanks.

Blade

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Thats the short D frame. Someone else might have a more technical name for it. The newer Det. Spec. stocks should work or those made for a Diamondback. Are you looking for something custom?? Small for carry or larger??

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. I will carry this gun, so I want a set of stocks that are comfortable but can be concealed as well. Rix those "boot" stocks in your last photo are nice. I also like those squared Colt stocks as well. The original stocks that came with the gun, are sort of rounded at the bottom.

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
If you want get custom stocks you might want to check out Craig Spegel. He's among the best custom grip makers and my personal favorite. He can make you a set of post 1966 D frame boot grips. Craig Spegel - Custom Pistol Grips

Some of our members prefer Jim Badger's grips and they appear also to be a very good product.

·
Premium Member
5,854 Posts
I have a extra pair of pachmayr compacts like the middle pic for $10 shipped. I also have a mint condition post 1972 DS factory walnut stocks for $45 shipped.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just purchased a set of DB stocks in genuine sambar stag with Colt emblems from a member here. They look really sharp and should fit my revolver with little or no fitting. I also ordered a Tyler-Tgrip in black to go with the package. I will post a before and after photo once I get the gun "dressed up". Thanks again for all the help.

Blade

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
I just purchased a set of DB stocks in genuine sambar stag with Colt emblems from a member here. They look really sharp and should fit my revolver with little or no fitting. I also ordered a Tyler-Tgrip in black to go with the package. I will post a before and after photo once I get the gun "dressed up". Thanks again for all the help.

Blade
I think I saw the set you bought. You'll have to show them to me when I stop by to meet you in June :)

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like a plan, I still have not gotten around to pick up the gun yet. I have been waiting for gun permits to be approved so I can pick up the other guns sitting in my LGS safe. I figure I would make one trip, and get my old Colt and the 5 new guns I purchased but have not taken possession yet. This state is a joke!!!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally picked up my old Colt, put some nice sambar stocks that I purchased from a great member here on the forum, and I added a Tyler T-grip. Here is the before.

Here is the after.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts